Gallery

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Header4 Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Helios

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain

Go down

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Empty Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain

Post  Ghipsi on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 09:01

This is a posting that I made on the British Cichlid Association:

I have been breeding angelfish for a good number of years now & love working with the different colour genetics, so today I thought I should write a little about a colour strain that is often overlooked.
Blue Koi is an intersting colour, it does not have the Blue (pb/pb) gene that is usualy asosiated with the name blue, but usualy has an interesting amount of Blue Blushing irridesence, I have been lucky enough to have accuired an amount of my Angelfish breeding stock from John (Wharmbys Angels) who, over a number of years has been working with various Angelfish colours & has produced many stunning Angelfish with a new type of Rainbow irredesence etc.
Ok, back to Blue Koi, why is it not a popular colour form? In past times some Blue Koi have turned out to look 'very muddy' in colour, but with the right parents you can produce some very exciting & absolutly stunning Angels, with Johns irridesance lines I am finaly very pleased to say that I can produce a stunning Blue Koi that will grace any aquarium!
What genes are needed to produce a Blue Koi?
A blue Koi is basicly a koi with only one Gm gene, eg. A normal Koi has 2 blushing Genes (S/S), and 2 Gold Marble Genes (Gm/Gm). Therefore Koi' genetics are written as: Gm/Gm - S/S
A Blue Koi only has one Gm gene & is written as Gm/+ - S/S, if you add a smokey gene to this you get a Smokey Blue Koi: Sm/+ - Gm/+ -S/S. (the '+' indicates a wild type gene, eg Silver with black stripes, but thats anouther story LOL).
Ok now for some images of Blue Koi & Smokey Blue Koi:

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain DSCF12372

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain DSCF12512

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Snapshot3407-12-201116-102

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Snapshot3007-12-201116-062

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Snapshot907-12-201115-472

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Snapshot2030-11-201117-182

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Snapshot1730-11-201117-122

The top right hand image on the forum 'logo' is also one of my Smokey Blue Kois.
Lisa
Ghipsi
Ghipsi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Empty Re: Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain

Post  endlessendlers on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 13:24

Beautiful Lisa. I noticed the smokey blue koi on the logo immediately. That is one gorgeous fish!
endlessendlers
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain Empty Re: Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain

Post  Ghipsi on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 13:48

Thanks, every one of the Blue Koi images is a brother or sister to him Very Happy
All bred from Johns lines.
Lisa
Ghipsi
Ghipsi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 14:11

John certainly does breed beautiful angels, as does Rob. The only problem is, I don't have any of Rob's.
endlessendlers
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghipsi on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 14:13

I don't have any of Robs either Crying or Very sad , Helen, you don't have any of mine either Crying or Very sad
Ghipsi
Ghipsi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 14:21

Ghipsi wrote:I don't have any of Robs either Crying or Very sad , Helen, you don't have any of mine either Crying or Very sad

Oh Lord, that's a double whammy!
endlessendlers
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 14:59

Here's an old photo of a chocolate blue koi (Gm/+ - S/S - Sm/sm)

Blue Koi, an often overlooked colour strain IMG_9167

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghipsi on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 15:10

Now thats what I call a stunning Blue Koi! Shocked
Ghipsi
Ghipsi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 16:39

It is beautiful. Now where am I going to get a gold marble ghost to make one of these beauties?
endlessendlers
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 17:11

Hi Lisa, Helen,
Glad you like him, sadly I lost him a while ago, but I do have one of his sons, and his brother is the koi in this thread
https://uk-angelfishforum.forumotion.co.uk/t11-keeping-me-waiting
I also have offspring from 3 of his sisters
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 17:30

Pterophyllum wrote:Hi Lisa, Helen,
Glad you like him, sadly I lost him a while ago, but I do have one of his sons, and his brother is the koi in this thread
https://uk-angelfishforum.forumotion.co.uk/t11-keeping-me-waiting
I also have offspring from 3 of his sisters

Good, at least the line continues.
endlessendlers
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down