UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 Header4 Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 Helios

Robs fish room tales.

+6
bridgegirl99
spyderuk
TONY,S ANGELS
uk bulldog
Ghipsi
Pterophyllum
10 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 Empty Re: Robs fish room tales.

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 29 Jun 2013, 17:00

If they get them to free swimming which I hope they do, do you feel that constant bickering may cause them to eat the fry & if so would you then consider removing one or the other or both.

I'll play it by ear, but if I have to remove one it will probably be the male.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 03 Jul 2013, 12:12

Well sadly the albino & his mate lost their youngsters, although they did better than on previous attempts with a reasonable number of wrigglers surviving for a couple of days, unfortunately I noticed that their filter had practically stopped, and thinking that they'd eaten the babies I set to sorting it out, sending the babies, which were hidden on the back of the flowerpot flying. I think they're getting there so hopefully in a go or two they'll get the hang of it.

Better luck with the Manacapuru pairing. Whilst the babies were wrigglers, the female kept the male penned up in the corner of the tank. On Monday particularly, as the wrigglers got ready to free swim, she was getting very stroppy with him & I almost removed him. I'm glad I didn't, because on Tuesday morning I was greeted by the sight of both parents happily tending a good shoal of babies, I didn't manage to get a good shot of both of them together, but here are a couple of half decent ones of the proud parents....

Dad...
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4086_zpsbca15646

Mum...
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4081_zps4d553a53
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Thu 04 Jul 2013, 06:51

The Albino pairing sound like they are getting ther rob so you should have some nice albino hets real soon.Very Happy 

Thats great news regards the Manacapuru pairing & your instinks paid off yet again rob
The pics are without doubt showing some proud parents, well done & looking forward to the pics of them as they grow.
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  Grummie2 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 09:52

Fantastic sight Rob! This should open up a whole new breeding plan for you! I was impressed with Raikos' mana crosses into the koi lines, he produced some spectacular fish! Happy breeding....

Grummie2

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Thu 04 Jul 2013, 22:21

I was impressed with Raikos' mana crosses into the koi lines, he produced some spectacular fish!
I was too!

This should open up a whole new breeding plan for you!
As usual I have more directions to run in than I have tanks, but IMO there are very few varieties that couldn't be improved by the addition of a red crown!

A couple I am seriously thinking about are red crowned half black ghosts and red cap albinos, but there are lots of other possibles and crossing into koi lines is another serious prospect.

Still, it's best not to get too far ahead of myself, they only went free swimming on Tuesday!

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 15 Jul 2013, 00:40

A quick update.

Manacapuru & silver are still guarding a reasonable batch of young who are growing well.

Albino and his mate failed again, however.....

I don't usually like to let siblings pair, but I have a number of nice blacks from my not pinoys thread two of them paired up in one of my grow on tanks, and for a number of reasons (good size, nice body shape, good temperement - not too aggressive) I decided to let them have a go at being parents, I'm glad I did!
Their wrigglers are due to go free swimming tomorrow, but when I looked closely at them this evening I saw albinos!
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4283_zpsab0a994c
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4282_zpsea06049f

These are going to be a very varied batch as both parents are D/+ - S/+ - Sm/+ - +/a - +/pb and in addition probably both, and one definitely have/has a streaked gene.

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Mon 15 Jul 2013, 07:07

WOW Rob what great news for you with the Manacapuru x silver pair still having there fry & doing well, it will be nice to see them as they progress.

What happened with the Albino & his partner this time was it eating again?

Yet again WOW im so pleased for you with the unexpected albino fry,this is a spawn im very intresed in & will be waiting with baited breath to hear how you get on with these & very intrested to see what the albino's turn out to be.

I have been talking to a couple of people who are currently raiseing albino fry & both have said that no lights in the tank & regular water changes with RO has been the key to raiseing them,so it will be good to hear how you do, as you know i also hope to be breeding them in the not to distant future as my hets are all doing well & growing fast.I will be posting some pics of both spawns of hets that i have soon as it apears that the male does carry the striples gene because the pairing with your paraiba has given me Ghosts,Smokey Ghosts along with Smokey Blushing & Blushing Ghost's from what i can now see.
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 17 Jul 2013, 12:30

im very intresed in & will be waiting with baited breath to hear how you get on with these
OK, rather later than I expected this batch are up & swimming!
Parents seem to be doing an excellent job of keeping the shoal together, albinos & otherwise, none the less I decided I want two bites at the cherry, so I've transfered some of the albino babies to a 35 litre and left the rest with Mum and Dad. Fortunately the 35 litre I wanted to use for this purpose is just a short syphon's length away from the main tank.
First I drained most of the water from the 35 litre, but left the mature filter it contains, whilst doing this, and water changes on some of the other near by tanks, the parent fish were getting very agitated, rushing round grabbing babies in their mouths and spitting them out on a leaf in the middle of the tank. I'd don't know if the albinos, due to their poor eyesight, are more prone to straying, or are more obvious to the parents because of their colour, but most of the babies the parents were grabbing were albinos, so when the time came to deploy the syphon It was very easy to pick off albinos and leave others behind. In total I transfered about 40 albinos, plus I suspect a couple of rogue normal babies, which I'll sneak back to the main tank when they're a bit easier to spot.

both have said that no lights in the tank & regular water changes with RO has been the key to raiseing them
I don't want to wind up with a strain of albinos that need mollycoddling, I can see the logic of keeping light levels low, especially in the early stages, the main tank has the equivalent of a 20w T8 for a 40 gallon tank, and I'll be keeping that on as normal. Whilst the 35 litre has a low power LED light which keeps the tank dim, but lets me see how they're doing!
As to R.O. I shall carry on my usual water change regime. I use quartz gravel rather than bare bottom breeding tanks. I  have a theory, too long to go into details now, but I suspect that this should reduce the risk of bacterial infections and therefore reduce the need for R.O. and other bacterial reduction strategies. We'll see if I'm right over the next few weeks!

The Manacapuru and her mate are going to need to be moved out soon, as the babies are really starting to pick at their fins! - more photos soon!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Wed 17 Jul 2013, 13:56

Great news there then rob what with the parents doing there job & you being able to move as many as you have.I realy hope all goes well & you manage to keep this lot.
Its great to hear that you dont intend to give them anything special regards RO etc as i would like to think that all the extra mollycoddling is not a necessity.
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 24 Jul 2013, 14:47

Well, I would like to show you a photo or two of the Manacapuru cross babies, but although they're doing well, they're also very camera shy and disappear to the rear of the tank every time I point a camera at them! Just about 3 weeks since they went free swimming they now look like proper little angels.

The albinos haven't done so well, although the parents are very attentive numbers of young in that tank have dwindled and although the parents still have a reasonable shoal of babies (about 150) I don't think any albinos have survived. Of the 40 or so babies moved to the 35 litre tank, I think only 4 remain and one of these is a little black individual, I did also move 2 non albinos back with their parents. One problem I encountered with previous batches of albinos was the babies eating brineshrimp still in their shells, so this time around I've been adding the sieved brine shrimp to a jar of water and swirling it round, any shells that find their way in tend to collect at the bottom in the centre and I then pour off a little of the water with brine shrimp into the tank. It seems to work!.....

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4576_zps4902f7d7
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4571_zpsb5c07f45

The challenge now will be keeping the babies fed, without over feeding them.....

In other news....

I have a pair with more wrigglers than I've ever seen before from one batch! However, their previous batch dwindled away and only a couple made it to free swimming and were gone 48 hours later.

The albino and his mate have eaten their eggs/wrigglers yet again, if they don't come good next time, they're going to lose their breeding tank, probably to the black pair who gave me my latest lot of albinos!

I have another pair, male koi, female gold marble ghost who look like they've got eggs/wrigglers, but have hidden them at the rear of their breeding cone, so I'm not 100% sure if/what & how many!

I've also put this pair together, nothing doing yet, but fingers crossed....
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4562_zps3795fbfb
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4554_zps869de143

He's a platinum marble (hopefully ghost) she's a koi with a pb gene. Hopefully another step in my quest for better coloured koi.

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Mon 29 Jul 2013, 09:39

As ever those photos are amazing rob Very Happy 
The colour of that Koi is also very nice & deep so i will hope you get what you want from them.
Sorry to hear about the albino's.I was chating to a guy on friday who has said with his albino fry he found that micro worms seem to be better than brineshrimp regards them eating more & getting on there way like normal none albino fry.
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 29 Jul 2013, 11:58

With regards to the albinos, the ones that have survived seem to feed happily on brine shrimp. because I like to keep a bit of gravel in my tanks, I don't think microworms would work very well for me. Someone on TAF II suggested that keeping lights dimmed when the fry are wrigglers and even at the egg stage avoids damage to the eyes. I'm not 100% convinced by this theory, but I'm prepared to give it a go, my tanks already have background on the sides & rear, so I'm thinking of using black quartz gravel, and putting something on the cover glasses to dim the tank futher, that should have the added advantage of making the albinos more obvious for the parents to spot.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Tue 30 Jul 2013, 06:53

I can see what you are saying about micro worms not being much good if you have gravel & if brineshrimp is working why change it.
Regards something for the front glass would the clear coloured material that they use for window blinds be any good as you could also use that to cover/dimm the light on the tank.
I'm takeing notes here rob as im trying to put together a list of other peoples results so as to help me as & when i get my hets breeding so please keep the info comeing & good luck with those you have left.
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Tue 30 Jul 2013, 08:03

Regards something for the front glass would the clear coloured material that they use for window blinds be any good as you could also use that to cover/dimm the light on the tank.

The breeding tanks I use are 2' x 1' x 15" but mounted end on so the "front glass" is 1' x 15", at this stage I'm not planning on dimming that out. If I'm going to breed albinos, I want to keep the process as normal as possible.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sun 04 Aug 2013, 22:07

Well the Manacapuru cross babies are no longer camera shy! A couple of weeks a go I had a minor panic as I found 3 dead one morning, could have been an issue with the brine shrimp, but as a precaution I treated with octozin (3 day course) and Anti Slime & Velvet (one off treatment) and have had no further losses....

I'm pleased to see most are already showing nice red colouration in the fins, but I suspect this is more Dad's influence than Mum's....

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4991_zps33bca7df
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4962_zpsa084736c
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4984_zps3805cb1c
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_4956_zps2d2ca110

I still have 3 of the albino babies and they seem to be growing reasonably well, although I suspect that one may have swim bladder issues, time will tell.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Mon 05 Aug 2013, 08:05

They look great Rob. Wink 

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 09 Aug 2013, 23:03

Hi Paul,
To belatedly answer your question....

What happened with the Albino & his partner this time was it eating again?
I have to say that I've been getting very frustrated with this pair, some fish seem to have very little clue as to how to, and even less inclination to, tend eggs or young. Yet this pair both seem very attentive, but their wrigglers invariably disappear either, shortly after hatching, or before going free swimming. I have a theory that the parental instinct is heightened by large spawns, and that often, when most of the spawn fails to thrive that parents are more inclined to cut their losses and try again a week or so later. In light of my theory, I was pleased to note that this pair had their best clutch of wrigglers so far, and I resolved to leave them in charge, 48 hours later however and the wrigglers were significantly fewer, so I decided I'd better step in....

I carefully netted out the parents, and using a short length of airline syphoned out the wrigglers into a jam jar, from here I transfered them to a breeding net hung in their original tank. The idea with the net was to keep the babies safe from predators (snails) and so I could keep a close eye on them, also by keeping them in a confined area I hoped that it would be easier to control their feeding for the first few days of free swimming. I also decided to lay a towel on the cover glass above the net to reduce light levels.

All this was a few days ago, the babies went free swimming Wednesday evening, I estimate about 40 in total, they seem to be doing well at the moment, my only issue being that baby brine shrimp are quite capable of swimming through the fine mesh of of the net, but this in turn means I can get away with a bit of overfeeding as the majority of shrimp escape before they get eaten.

The exciting part of all this is that whilst Dad is an albino & I can guarantee that the youngsters will have at least one albino gene, it would appear that Mum is het. for albino as about half the babies appear to be albinos! The towel definitely seems to have helped as the albinos seem much more active and alert than with my previous batches, so although it is early days, I'm hopeful that I'll get a better survival rate than I achieved with those previous batches.

This is good news for couple of reasons....
Firstly mother, is sister to the male I paired to my manacapuru, Albino red back is one of my target varieties & there's now a 50:50 chance that I'm already heading towards that goal.
Also, from your point of view, the mother is sister to my original blue marbles, which means the odds that some of the fish you've had from me may be het. albino have just improved significantly!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sun 25 Aug 2013, 22:12

Well not a lot of luck with the albinos....

Of the three from the sibling pair one proved to have swim bladder issues and has been culled, leaving me with just 2 who seem to be developing well and keeping pace with their non albino siblings (who are in a separate tank).

A family holiday meant that those from the albino x ghost pairing were always going to be up against it, and I suspect I released them into the main tank too soon, long and the short of it is that I have a sole, non albino, survivor. Hopefully persistence will pay off, I've put the parents back in the tank, this time with black quartz gravel, and a towel on the cover glass, I'll probably pinch the first batch, then leave them to try and work out how to parent raise!

On the plus side, came back from holiday on Thursday evening, and on Friday morning this pair presented their free swimmers to me, fortunately my parents had popped in to set the brine shrimp going ready for my return!...

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6221_zps58c5c446  
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6207_zps13863c0c
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6228_zpsa91c29c4
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sun 01 Sep 2013, 22:37

Photo update time....

Firstly the two surviving albino fry...
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6636_zps8eb11ed4
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6632_zpsa20ff2fc

and a couple of the manacapuru x domestic silver babies...

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6644_zpsc27743e9
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6663_zps5ef50f58
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6608_zpsb2fb290a
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Grummie2 Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:04

The manacapuru crosses are very nice Rob. How many did you end up with? You should be able to create some nice varieties with these much like Raiko has done. Are the albinos growing at a normal rate still? They look to have some good 'colour', certainly not anaemic looking.

Grummie2

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:31

Hi Graham,
I moved the Manacapuru crosses to a larger tank a week or so ago and at a rough count I've got 44 of them, so enough to hopefully pick out some well coloured ones once they are larger.

The two albinos are as large as their siblings who stayed with their parents, and I've now moved the albinos back in with them (their siblings not their parents), looking at those photos again I think I've managed to post two photos of the same fish, rather than one of each as I intended. One is marginally smaller and I'm fairly confident is an albino pinoy, the other in the photos I'm not so sure about. But I'm certainly very happy with the way they are developing.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 07 Sep 2013, 22:58

Well, on the one hand I'm delighted, I've finally persuaded my albino male & his mate (who's het. for albino) to breed & parent raise; and an excellent job they're doing.....

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6723_zps14468a52

But on the other hand, despite my initial optimism & the preporations I made to help the albinos survive, (see my reply in this thread http://www.uk-angelfishforum.org.uk/t573-albino-fry#3978), it doesn't appear that many have.

There are a couple in this photo...

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6711_zpsfb1886dc

None the less, a few do appear to be doing well, so it will be interesting to see what the final head count is!

One last photo of the proud father!

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6738_zps37a6cc36
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:12

Hi Rob the Manacupuru cross youngsters look very nice indeed & i will be nice to see what you intend to do with them regards breeding later on.

I take my hat off to you Rob with your persistance with the albino's & well done as the photo of the one you have posted looks stunning & its good to hear that the growth rate is also good.I hope you get many more & with a greater rate of survival.
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Thu 26 Sep 2013, 00:26

When I put these two together, I did so in the hope of producing some blue angels which were het. for albino, that the female turned out to have an albino gene was an unexpected bonus, but it looks like only one of the albino babies is still going.
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_7441s_zpsfd74acb3
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_7467s_zps3a1dc9d5

Despite the fact that they were still doing a very determined job of guarding the young, I decided to remove them. Once I have a spare breeding tank, I'm going to have another shot at some albinos, but I think I might split these up & try them with different known albino carriers. On the other other hand, they've now proven themselves excellent & determined  parents, so I may just keep them together, time will tell.

The manacapuru crosses are growing at a phenomenal rate. Partly because they are simply silvers with no complicating genes like zebra, pb, pearlscale and dark to slow their growth rate, and partly, I suspect, because of something called "hybrid vigour" The largest of them are already about 2" to 2 1/2" from the top of their dorsals to the tips of their anal fins, and colour is looking very promising...

Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_7426s_zpsd47c2a0b

I'm also very pleased with the way some of my most recent blue marble batch are coming on. All of this batch are blues, but not all are blue marbles, and there's a huge mix of types including smokey & chocolate blue marbles, blue chocolate leopards, even the odd "plain" paraiba.  

Blue Chocolate leopard "snakeskin"
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_7544_zps63fd7a47
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_7323_zpsa7c522cb

Chocolate blue marble
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 Eaf698da-1818-450e-b17c-c07b85c95922_zpsd14683e4

smokey/chocolate blue leopard marbles
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_7219_zpsbabafc80
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_7221_zps8e598503

I must say I'm really partial to the added iridescence that the smokey/zebra combination brings to the mix.

Finally a few photos of a couple of my older blue marbles, still awaiting their chance in a breeding tank!
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6906_zps90935cef
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_7029_zps7868ce2b
Robs fish room tales. - Page 3 IMG_6867_zps80362787
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Grummie2 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 09:14

STUNNING !!!!!!! You must be soooo happy with these Rob! I think the chocolate blue marble is my favourite.

Grummie2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next