UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Place your bets! - Page 2 Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Place your bets! - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Place your bets! - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Place your bets! - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Place your bets! - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Place your bets! - Page 2 EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Place your bets! - Page 2 EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Place your bets! - Page 2 EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Place your bets! - Page 2 EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Place your bets! - Page 2 EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Place your bets! - Page 2 Header4 Place your bets! - Page 2 Helios

Place your bets!

5 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Place your bets! - Page 2 Empty Re: Place your bets!

Post  wildreddeer Sat 04 Jul 2015, 13:24

Blither, Don’t get disheartened. There is hope in the distance yet. Never mind what other people say or what you have read. You can breed any male with any female with 100% success. I have never failed in all my years of breeding. Maybe I have been lucky maybe its how I did it or just the set up. This is all I did.

I used a 24 x 12x 12 bare bottom tank. 50w heater set at 78. Small sponge filter. One male and one female. And no trimmings.

Completely cleaned the tank and washed it again in salt water. Never let it dried just topped it up wih warm water out of the shower and added one measure of Prime. Then added both fish at the correct temp. Needless to say my shower was set at the temp., So when I topped up it was just danddy.

I feed them on tetra prima, I think that’s what it was called. And I used live brine shrimp which I had in ready supply. (Salt lake, which I got of eBay)

I cleaned the tank daily with a sponge scourer like you use for washing up. (fish still in tank) Syphoned any debri out and took out 25% of the water and replaced it with warm water out of my shower, along with one measure of prime.

Ho by the way my measure is a piplet.

That’s all I did.

I had an up turned flower pot with the hole siliconed up.

When eggs appeared, I stopped the daily cleaning till the eggs,riddlers became free swimming.

At free swimming I up the brine srimp to small dosses about every 2-3 hours. And daily cleaned the tank with the fish in. The adults by this time had got used to your hand being in. Carful how you syphon out with the babbies in. I did one side the hushed them to the other.

There you have it. I had 100% success rate every time. Apart from the wild angels I could not get them to breed.

I hear some one saying did I leave the babbies with there parents or when did I move them. Well.

I left the perents with the young all the time.

I removed the parents when the young started to pester the parents. ie:- kept picking them, or it just came over crowded. Then the young finnally got moved on to 36” or 48” growing out tanks.

Hope you and many others that may be reading this article find it usefull.

At the end of the day my moto is Clean an Fresh.
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Sat 04 Jul 2015, 13:27

Blither wrote:Place your bets! - Page 2 Image11

Cropped the existing one, is that any better?

Anyone want half a ton of male angelfish? xD

Sad
It's just not your day No
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Blither Sat 04 Jul 2015, 13:54

Haha. 5 males and one female. Typical. xD At least the female is a nice looking fish!

I'm not sure whether to wait a few months to see if Big Smokey pairs off, just to absolutely sure of sex, or just rehome the 4 males and keep Big Smokey and Battleaxe and attempt to pair them.

How sure are we that Big Smokey (first fish) is male? I don't want to get rid of the male pinoy and then regret it!

I have a 24 long x 12 deep x 16 tall tank for spawning, and a 48 x 12 x 16 for growing out in addition to my 48 x 16 bowfront x 24 tall community tank, so I'm all set on that front. Very Happy

I have a brine shrimp hatchery that produces a steady stream of BBS so they're already getting live food on a regular basis. I can just up the amount of eggs I put in to ensure enough food for babies. Smile

Blither

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Sat 04 Jul 2015, 14:11

First things first.

Do not get rid of any of your males, specilly Big Smokey. Even if it means getting another tank. If you do you could regret it. What happens if your male dies. Or you change your mind. Me. I'd keep them.

I'm trying to get a good print of Big Smokey so I can put a few lines and pointers on for you. I only have my note book and a bog standard printer up her in Scotland, but I'll see what I can come up with. Hopfully it will aid you all with the sexing of Angels.
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Blither Sat 04 Jul 2015, 14:26

Unfortunately I'm limited in the amount of tanks I can keep, even the 4ft grow out tank will have to be in the garage. My grandma lives with me as I'm her carer, and since she uses a wheelchair, floor space is an issue!

I definitely don't want to get rid of Big Smokey though, I know a good fish when I see it. xD Hence why I'd ideally like him to pair with the lone female pinoy.

Blither

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Sat 04 Jul 2015, 14:51

I 100% understand about your G.Ma.

I have tried to outline the male for you.

Place your bets! - Page 2 Pictur14

Not a very good print out. But if you compare it to the original photo, you might be able to see that it is not a steady line fom the nose to the tail but two. I wish I knew how to explain this better.
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Blither Sat 04 Jul 2015, 15:45

I actually had a good read of your previous post with the lovely drawings on sexing before posting, but I have trouble deciding when I can draw a curve and when it's two separate lines! Spots has a fairly distinct two line head, but Big Smokey threw me a little. I think previously I was only judging it up to the start of the spiny bit before the actual fin begins, which may have been the problem!

Based on the right technique and looking at the print out, I think you're right, and even the paraiba is obvious now!

How accurate do you find this method to be? Do males/females ever have the opposite sex head shape, or is it pretty reliable?

The confirmed male and female pinoy definitely seem to conform to the rule at least!

Blither

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Sat 04 Jul 2015, 19:02

Very Happy
I am over the moon when I find people who can follow what I try to say. I'm not the worlds best conversationalist, in fact I am the worlds worst speller. That does not help, because I have to change a sentances when I get to cetain words. Any way back to the thread. All male and female have the same head to a certain degree, and can be safley sexed. It is just a case of getting used to the roughness of the lines. As I am sure you will find out. It all takes time. Most do not take into account the upper spines. You read the body and don't include the spines, just the line under them. Hence if you have two lines, the join could end up anywere from just behind the noise to near the spines. It works 100%, but please don't ask me how. I saw it in a book many many moons ago, and have used it ever since. There is only one exception and that is a fish with a Nuchal Hump. Almost impostible to sex once the hump has formed.

Mant thanks for your kind comments. With time and practice you too will be able to sex Angelfish.
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sat 04 Jul 2015, 19:50

I'm trying to learn Phil's way of sexing but I still get it wrong sometimes (as we've just found!) but I thought that only males have a nuchal hump? ... okay ... I need to learn some more Embarassed
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Sat 04 Jul 2015, 20:26

Akasha. You may be right and there again you may be wrong. I have never found out the truth yet. To have one breed, I have never tried. Why? I don't like the looks of them and I don't wish to pass on any defects. That's if it is a defect. Sad
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Blither Sat 04 Jul 2015, 20:37

Thank you. Smile In that case, there's 4 males up for grabs, Dean! :p I think just having the male I want to keep and the female in the tank is the way to go if you guys think it'll work?

I wonder if the reason the two pinoys paired was simply that they were the only ones that have matured enough, they're only around 6 months old after all.

Spots, Stripes and Little One are younger still, I'm guessing 4-5 months but I'm sure Rob can confirm! Smile

Blither

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Sat 04 Jul 2015, 21:53

I'd never put money on the sex of an angelfish unless I see it laying eggs, in which case it's female.

Wildreddeer has more experience and a good track record for sexing angelfish, he has fully explained how he does it and those contributions add a lot of value to this angelfish resource. I have read that topic here before and found it a worthy read.

When I applied my method (not actually mine) I got different results that's all, but I recall this method working for me in the past.

Let me know what you want for them, I'll have a sunny drive.
My personal email address is: dean.hd5@gmail.com

Deans_Angels

http://www.angelfish.org,uk

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Sat 04 Jul 2015, 21:59

Thank you for those kind words Dean
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Sat 04 Jul 2015, 22:33

No problem.

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Blither Sat 04 Jul 2015, 22:48

Sent you an email, Dean. Smile

Blither

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:20

I'm guessing 4-5 months but I'm sure Rob can confirm!
All the pinoys come from this pair :-

Mum (Blue clown)
Place your bets! - Page 2 IMG_2365_zpsrlzhvomm

Dad (Chocolate ghost pinoy veil)
Place your bets! - Page 2 IMG_2348_zpsomrs6eqn

Their eggs were laid on 29th December 2014, and went free swimming (which is when I tend to count from) on 5th January, so yes, they're only 6 months old.
Some of their offspring are blue leopards, and paraibas, I think some of the blue leopards you had were siblings of the pinoys.

I also have young from a second pair :-
These ones are actually a few weeks older, my records are flawed as I forgot to write down the date they went free swimming, but they hatched on 19th November, so presumably about the 25th.
I'm fairly certain your paraiba came from this batch, and possibly one or two of the other ones you had.
These come from a very interesting pairing :-

mother is a blue clown veil :-
Place your bets! - Page 2 IMG_0231_zps8d69ae90

Whilst Dad is, puzzling.....

Place your bets! - Page 2 IMG_0235_zps7c714cf2

To look at him, he looks like a gold marble, but I'm 99% certain that both his parents were homozygous for pb.
Further more, if he was heterozygous for pb, half of his offspring should have been too, yet they all, without exception, express as blue.
as he's matured he's started to look more & more like a platinum marble, but with a strong yellow crown :-

Place your bets! - Page 2 IMG_2023_zpsdwg4zd9d

Further more, since all his offspring were smokies, he must be a chocolate (masked by the gold & gold marble gene)
so he's Gm/g - S/+ - Sm/Sm - pb/pb

All their offspring will either be Gm/+ or +/g. The influence of the Gm gene can be very hard to spot, this is one of the youngsters from this batch :-

Place your bets! - Page 2 IMG_2748_zpsvg3afxoa

This one is Gm/+ you can tell by the black spot a short way behind the gill, another, even less obvious one, within the smokey pattern where the rear of the anal fin meets the body, and even more dubiously, the darkish mark behind the eye. In short, it's not always easy to spot.

In terms of pairing, I'd be very wary about splitting the pair that has formed, and getting rid of all the others until you're 100% sure that the new pair have formed a good bond. In my experience it is easier to pair young fish than old fish, who can be very stubborn about which partners they're prepared to accept. However, the female is unlikely to accept a new male if she can still see her old mate, so it may well make sense to move him on.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:23

As a matter of interest Phil, do you fancy drawing some of your lines on this one's profile?
It's definitely female, I saw her laying the eggs! ....
Place your bets! - Page 2 IMG_2365_zpsrlzhvomm

I ask, because, if it's, "the exception which proves the rule", that trait may have passed on to some of her daughters.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:28

I wish I hadn't drunk so much cider - must be the weather Embarassed

Not much point drawing lines if you know it's a female lol - jocolor

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Blither Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:33

That last picture looks very like Spots, who has a similar large 'spot' mark behind the gill on one side (hence the name), so I suspect he's a Gm/+ too.

Do you think it's wise to just rehome the pinoy she's paired with for now, then? The problem is I desperately want to keep Big Smokey and realistically I'm just going to want to rehome any other male she pairs with. If only I'd had more females! Sad

Blither

Back to top Go down

Post  Blither Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:35

Deans_Angels wrote:I wish I hadn't drunk so much cider - must be the weather Embarassed

Not much point drawing lines if you know it's a female lol - jocolor

I think Rob means that if she shows male traits she could have passed that on to some of mine, so I could have more females than I think. Very Happy

Blither

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:36

Not much point drawing lines if you know it's a female lol
My point is that, whilst Phil usually gets them right, as I understand Phil's method, this one would key out as a male.
If it does then that might make sexing her daughters using Phil's method more problematic.
On the other hand, if Phil's method shows it to be a female, then hopefully a few lines on this picture may help me (and others) to better understand his technique!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Blither Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:39

What I need is for wildreddeer to accompany me to Rob's, and pick me out half a dozen females for Big Smokey. xD

Blither

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:44

Big Smokey will be a Big Droopy after all that!

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:47

Do you think it's wise to just rehome the pinoy she's paired with for now, then? The problem is I desperately want to keep Big Smokey and realistically I'm just going to want to rehome any other male she pairs with. If only I'd had more females!

It's really hard to advise others on what they should or shouldn't do. Obviously you are constrained by the number of tanks you have available.
I have 16 tanks, and I still find it really hard to decide which to keep and which to part with.
Personally I'd select what you hope would be your ideal pairing for her, put them in a breeding tank, and see what results. If they fight, choose the next best partner & so on. Once you have a good pair you're happy with, only then would I part with the rest. If there's one fish that's your absolute favourite, and you must get rid of some of them, keep it, male or female, if the worst comes to the worst, you know where the shop is now, and I've usually got some fish where I'm 100% confident of the sex.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Blither Sat 04 Jul 2015, 23:54

That sounds like a pretty solid plan, Rob. My 20gal breeder is currently home to Nelson, my big gold male, but he's off to my parent's house next week (mum's caught the fish keeping bug!). I'll try putting Battleaxe and Big Smokey together but I'm not sure he'll be ready to spawn, being so young. I suppose if she lays with only him in close proximity though it won't be a bad sign?

Only the two pinoys have shown any sign of pairing so far, literally the first week they were in the tank I had suspicions they would as they'd go everywhere together and boss the others around. I feel a bit guilty for wanting to separate them. Sad

My other option is to allow the pinoys to have a few spawns and see how I do with the fry until the others are around normal breeding age, and then attempt the new pairing.

Blither

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum