UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! Header4 Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! Helios

Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully!

3 posters

Go down

Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! Empty Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully!

Post  kaimcneil Sun 14 Dec 2014, 20:11

Hi,

A few weeks ago some angels paired off and laid eggs in my fathers tank, since this was a community tank he wanted to get rid as they where becoming defensive/aggressive.

I have taken them and put them in a 155l planted tank with the hope they will settle down and start to breed again. There only tank mates are some otto's.

My concern now is, the female chases and attacks the male whenever it moves its almost like the female wants the whole tank to itself.

Is there anything i can do? any advice appreciated Very Happy

kaimcneil

Back to top Go down

Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! Empty Re: Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully!

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 15 Dec 2014, 01:15

In a community tank the pair work together to defend the eggs or fry. Once they're on their own, some fish with nothing else to focus that aggression on, end up turning on their partner. It may also be that she blames him for the loss of their babies.
depending on the degree of aggression it may settle down, but if not, I'd suggest either moving them in with some other angels, introducing some "dither" fish to distract them, or possibly partition the tank for a while. Adding extra plants and other decorations to provide the male with some extra hiding places might also do the trick.

Good luck.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully! Empty Re: Angel Fish Pair with a female Bully!

Post  kaimcneil Mon 15 Dec 2014, 19:44

Thanks very much, would sort of fish would you recommend adding?

Im keen to get these 2 to breed so would need something which isint going to eat the eggs or fry, if possible.

Thanks

kaimcneil

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Thu 18 Dec 2014, 08:11

You could try a shoal of Corydoras catfish, as these wouldn't be too great a threat to eggs and fry, but are reasonably well armored and therefore unlikely to be harmed by the angels. Otherwise I'd go for a shoal of deeper bodied tetras such as bleeding hearts. Whatever you choose, you may well need to remove them once the babies are free swimming.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Wed 25 Feb 2015, 10:11

I had exactly the same with my pair. I moved them into a tank on their own in the hope of breeding them and the female spent all her time attacking the male. She carried on laying eggs every couple of weeks but the male would just ignore her and refused to fertilize the eggs. In the end I moved them back into my community tank and the female has calmed back down. She's not laid any eggs though since the move back - I've not had any eggs now since before xmas. The pair are still lip locking though and they are cleaning plants leaves and so I suspect she may lay eggs soon - and hopefully my boy will play his part this time.

She is still the more aggressive of the pair though. As humans we'd expect the male to be the 'bossy' one but it seems in nature that isn't the case!

Good luck with your pair and hopefully you'll see baby angels soon Smile
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down