UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Tetra Discus/ angels Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Tetra Discus/ angels EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Tetra Discus/ angels EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Tetra Discus/ angels EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Tetra Discus/ angels EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Tetra Discus/ angels EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Tetra Discus/ angels EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Tetra Discus/ angels EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Tetra Discus/ angels EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Tetra Discus/ angels EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Tetra Discus/ angels Header4 Tetra Discus/ angels Helios

Tetra Discus/ angels

4 posters

Go down

Tetra Discus/ angels Empty Tetra Discus/ angels

Post  Brian1 Sun 01 Jun 2014, 19:32

Would like your thoughts on this before I buy if you can, it's mainly to bring the colour out of my koi's, having said that, they are looking really good http://www.tetra.net/de/en/tropische-fische/futter/spezial-futter/tetra-discus

Tetra Discus/ angels 4fd97f3a-936c-4bcf-8951-d1d9e74d909b_zpsc0c7066b

Brian1

Back to top Go down

Tetra Discus/ angels Empty Re: Tetra Discus/ angels

Post  Pterophyllum Sun 01 Jun 2014, 21:20

Tetra foods are always excellent, although personally I prefer feeding flake to Prima/Tetra Discus.
According to Steve from Angels plus (for those who don't know him, Steve is a highly regarded American breeder of angels, and in particular Koi), the orange/red colouration seen in koi is due to the storage of carotinoids. Angels don't manufacture carotinoids, and instead absorb it from their diet. Most foods contain some carotinoids, but some have particularly high levels, these include Cyclop-eeze and most colour enhancing foods. Google "carotenoids fish food" and you'll find a whole range of foods, and most of these will make a difference to your koi. There is an argument that you shouldn't colour feed fish, or at the very least, if selling a colour fed fish, that you should ensure that anyone buying it is made aware of the need for a colour enhancing diet. In the case of carotinoids, since they are naturally occurring chemicals found in most vegetable matter to some degree, the question is, "When does providing a well balance diet become excessive artificial colour enhancement?"
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian1 Sun 01 Jun 2014, 22:15

Thanks Rob, I will carry on as before, Flake, pellets and bloodworm, sorry for the blurred pic, I did make it smaller and in focus but it came out like this

Brian1

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon Marshall Sun 01 Jun 2014, 23:05

Pterophyllum wrote:Tetra foods are always excellent, although personally I prefer feeding flake to Prima/Tetra Discus.
According to Steve from Angels plus (for those who don't know him, Steve is a highly regarded American breeder of angels, and in particular Koi), the orange/red colouration seen in koi is due to the storage of carotinoids. Angels don't manufacture carotinoids, and instead absorb it from their diet. Most foods contain some carotinoids, but some have particularly high levels, these include Cyclop-eeze and most colour enhancing foods. Google "carotenoids fish food" and you'll find a whole range of foods, and most of these will make a difference to your koi. There is an argument that you shouldn't colour feed fish, or at the very least, if selling a colour fed fish, that you should ensure that anyone buying it is made aware of the need for a colour enhancing diet. In the case of carotinoids, since they are naturally occurring chemicals found in most vegetable matter to some degree, the question is, "When does providing a well balance diet become excessive artificial colour enhancement?"  

Very emotive subject this and I for one think that there is a balance to be had as you may be aware I have kept and bred Discus for lots of Years and the Orange based fish are ones where you need to enhance their colour or they look washed out. I use Paprika in my beef heart mix that truly brings out the Orange colour in the fish, feed it to Yellow fish and hey they turn Orange. So my personal thoughts are as long as the buy is aware then there are no issues.

Simon Marshall

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian1 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 20:30

Simon Marshall wrote:
Pterophyllum wrote:Tetra foods are always excellent, although personally I prefer feeding flake to Prima/Tetra Discus.

Very emotive subject this and I for one think that there is a balance to be had as you may be aware I have kept and bred Discus for lots of Years and the Orange based fish are ones where you need to enhance their colour or they look washed out. I use Paprika in my beef heart mix that truly brings out the Orange colour in the fish, feed it to Yellow fish and hey they turn Orange. So my personal thoughts are as long as the buy is aware then there are no issues.
So you make your own food up Simon, you must have quite a few tanks then? have you looked at my link? what's "your" thoughts on it..........

Brian1

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon Marshall Wed 04 Jun 2014, 22:51

Tetra do some great food and I still feed mine Prima, their food products are great quality

Simon Marshall

Back to top Go down

Post  peaches Fri 29 Aug 2014, 21:39

I use Tetra Prima for my discus and angels. I recently bought a large tub of what I thought was Prima but when it came it said Tetra Discus. It looks the same, but I am not sure about its colour enhancing properties. I didnt realise I might be making my yellow discus orange.

As far as koi angels are concerned, is there sufficient carotenoids in the Prima, or should I buy another food with caretenoids in such as the JBL Novo Colour or something else? I am a bit confused about the whole colour enhancing foods thing and would like just a simple recommendation please. Question
peaches
peaches

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 29 Aug 2014, 23:23

I recently bought a large tub of what I thought was Prima but when it came it said Tetra Discus.
It's the same stuff. Being an international company, Tetra produce packaging for their different markets, in the UK Prima is called Prima, but in Europe it's called Tetra Discus. Because they don't sell enough of of the larger tubs to justify UK only packaging, for the larger size we get the European packaging. You'll notice that the big pack is multilingual, whilst the smaller packs of Prima are only printed in English.

As far as koi angels are concerned, is there sufficient carotenoids in the Prima, or should I buy another food with caretenoids in such as the JBL Novo Colour or something else? I am a bit confused about the whole colour enhancing foods thing and would like just a simple recommendation please.
Most/all foods contain some caretenoids, but some have more than others. The more caretenoids you feed, the more gold/orange/red the fish will express, provided they have the necessary genes to enable them to use/store it. In general I feed tetramin, and feel that has sufficient caretenoids for reasonable expression. However, having won some colour enhancing flakes, I've been experimenting with them and feel that they do make a difference. Adding a small amount of paprika or if you prefer cyclops (eg cyclop-eeze) will greatly enhance the carotenoid content of any food.

I don't consider feeding natural colour enhancing foods unethical, providing the buyer is made aware that the colour will fade unless the diet is maintained. But in general I prefer not to feed a colour enhancing diet, so that issue does not arise.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  peaches Sat 30 Aug 2014, 20:41

Thanks again. Last month I had tried some of these California blackworm cubes. The discus wont touch them but the angels eat them well enough, but I get through a lot of Tetra Prima as everyone is happy to accept that. I also keep Tetra min in stock. When I have fry and they have finished with the brine shrimp I like a good quality flake to crush and Tetra min seems to be the one. What I like about angels is they arent generally fussy eaters.
peaches
peaches

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down