UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

I'd love some advice please Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
I'd love some advice please EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
I'd love some advice please EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
I'd love some advice please EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
I'd love some advice please EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
I'd love some advice please EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
I'd love some advice please EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
I'd love some advice please EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
I'd love some advice please EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
I'd love some advice please EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
I'd love some advice please Header4 I'd love some advice please Helios

I'd love some advice please

2 posters

Go down

I'd love some advice please Empty I'd love some advice please

Post  justinr Tue 22 Apr 2014, 21:40

I'd love some advice please {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0  \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 <a href=I'd love some advice please Image22}" />

[img]{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 I'd love some advice please Image23}[/img]

Hello. I separated these two in December after they appeared to form a pair in the community tank. The female began to drive away all the others and followed the male around. They are now in their own 100 litre tank. Since then they have had 3 spawns. Unfortunately as soon as they spawn they immediately eat them. In fact I think they eat them whilst spawning. They have not been cleaning leaves etc for 6-8 weeks

Have they lost interest?
What should I do?
Cheers
Justin

justinr

Back to top Go down

I'd love some advice please Empty Re: I'd love some advice please

Post  Pterophyllum Tue 22 Apr 2014, 23:15

Which is the female? I'm wondering if they both are?

Personally I'd be inclined to separate them and try them with different partners. Even if they are a pair, some pairs don't seem to work out, and those sound like one of those pairs. But that doesn't mean they won't make good parents, repaired they may well learn some good habits.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  justinr Wed 23 Apr 2014, 18:09

The female is the blue ghost or at least she is the one that lays the eggs
The other one was sold to me by you as a male a year or so ago. He has turned out to be beautiful fish
What do you think his genotype is?
What would you cross him with?
I have a few smokey parabia veills, a platinum and a heterozygous blue to choose from

justinr

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 23 Apr 2014, 19:54

The other one was sold to me by you as a male
hopefully I was right, but I'm not infallible  Very Happy He certainly looks male, but not so obviously that I'm 100% certain looking at him now.

The other one was sold ... a year or so ago....What do you think his genotype is?

That narrows things down considerably, he'll be from this batch....

http://www.uk-angelfishforum.org.uk/t95-not-pinoys

so he's a A black lace ie D/+
He's a smokey Sm/+
He's a veil V/+
looks like he may have a streaked gene St/+
looks like he's got a zebra gene & has a 50% chance of having a stripeless gene, soo either Z/+ or S/Z
is het. for Philippine blue +/pb
and it turns out that one of the parents of that batch, probably dad, was carrying an albino gene, so there's a 50:50 chance of albino. +/a

Put it all together and you get D/+ - S/Z* - Sm/+ - St/+ - +/a** - +/pb

* or Z/+ : ** or +/+

What would you cross him with?
the female you have him paired with would be ideal, but since things don't seem to be working out, any of the others would produce some interesting offspring, although personally I avoid veil to veil pairings as I don't like super veils. I'd probably put him with a number of potential mates and see who he chooses. IMO there's a better chance of them parent raising if they choose their own mates.

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  justinr Wed 23 Apr 2014, 20:06

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond so comprehensively
I have another pair in a 100 litre tank a blue male smokey and a heterozygous blue female. They have produce eggs and raised fry until they were 5 weeks old but have since gone off the boil. In all they have laid 6 times. They are still young.
Do angelfish pair for life?

I think I might swap each of the pairs into different tanks (keeping both pairs together) just to see if the change n environment boosts their libidos ??

The black mongrel is very beautiful. I'm sure he is a male. His tube is smaller and much narrower than the females egg tube

justinr

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 23 Apr 2014, 21:12

Do angelfish pair for life?
Yes/no/maybe....

Rather like humans they seem rather variable, I've had pairs that I've split up into different tanks, and in some cases re-paired with a different partner, and then months later when I put them back together in a display tank full of other angels, they've rushed up to each other and immediately re-bonded. I've had other pairs in the same situation where they completely ignore each other and stick with the current partner. I've had males spawn with one female one day, and a different one the day after, and two weeks later they're back with the original partner. I've had females who happily breed with any male I put with them, and others who seem willing only to accept the one chosen male.
When it comes to parent raising I currently have two pairs together where both male & female have successfully parent raised with a different partner, and they seem happy & bonded, yet every time they spawn, the eggs go missing!

...but have since gone off the boil.
Producing eggs is quite an energy demanding process, females will often spawn several times then have a hiatus. Best thing to do is simply give them a rest in a community tank, feed them well and a few months later they'll be back in condition and ready to try again.

I think I might swap each of the pairs into different tanks (keeping both pairs together) just to see if the change n environment boosts their libidos ??

Simply taking the males out & swapping them over is likely to lead to conflict, ideally put them all together in a large community tank, preferably with several other angels, leave them there for at least a couple of weeks, if new pairs form, those are more likely to be a good parent raising pairing. Otherwise, remove the female to the breeding tank and let her settle for a couple of days, then introduce the male you want to pair with her when she's ideally about three days away from spawning.

I'm sure he is a male. His tube is smaller and much narrower than the females egg tube
Sounds conclusive, in which case, try feeding him up on a good rich diet before trying again, make sure he feels secure in the breeding tank, and try to ensure he can see other fish, defending a territory can often heighten the parenting instinct.

good luck
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 23 Apr 2014, 21:26

Just realised that I miss read what you are planning. It does sometimes work, especially if you thoroughly spring clean the tank before introducing them, but in general, in my experience, the real key is ensuring that the parents are relaxed and secure in their environment and with each other, catching and moving can make them more insecure. In general I put a pair in a tank and give them a couple of months, if they haven't produced anything in that time, I tend to move them out, clean the tank thoroughly, then introduce a new pair. After a couple of months I try the original pair again, either together, or with a new partner.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down