UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Advice Please Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Advice Please EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Advice Please EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Advice Please EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Advice Please EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Advice Please EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Advice Please EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Advice Please EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Advice Please EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Advice Please EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Advice Please Header4 Advice Please Helios

Advice Please

4 posters

Go down

Advice Please Empty Advice Please

Post  bridgegirl99 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 18:09

My pair of Angels in my breeding tank had been spawning every 10/12 days, their last two attempts have been longer, they had been cleaning the tank for a day or two so I guessed something was going to happen, but having a quick peep just now, instead of nice rows of eggs, there seems to be a lot of white bits mixed in, I didn't like to look too closely as they're still busy.

Is this the norm or is something going wrong?? there does seem to be a couple of rows of eggs with out bits? I'm sure they'll sort it out? I guess if somethings gone wrong they will eat them straight away.

I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much from them and I should put them back in the tank with the others and give them a rest, I guess its their 5th/6th attempt now?

If she's been hanging on to the eggs too long is this what it would look like??

Lindsey

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Advice Please Empty Re: Advice Please

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 01 Dec 2012, 08:10

there seems to be a lot of white bits mixed in
Assuming that the white bits are no longer there, that's the male's contribution to the proceedings!

I should put them back in the tank with the others and give them a rest, I guess its their 5th/6th attempt now?
If you have no luck with this batch I'd give them a couple more goes, and then give them a rest.

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Sat 01 Dec 2012, 11:15

Ohh thanks Robert, I thought I'd watched spawning before and saw nothing like that at all! The male seemed to do a couple of dummy runs before she'd laid anything, then once she got going seemed OK, next time I looked it was as if they were decorating a christmas tree with fake snow, a dreadful mess!

I left them to it and now they're fanning about a dozen white eggs and about the same clear ones (there might be a few more of course cos they're not so obvious), Its definitely their worst attempt so far, but then again I shall be pleased as punch if they manage to raise even one youngster!!

Thanks again

Lindsey

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Sun 02 Dec 2012, 08:42

Hmmm they must have realised it was a disastrous attempt, everything clean this morning, back to the drawing board!! lol

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:36

They've just spawned again, but only about 25/30 eggs, I assume the female has run out of steam?? I think I'll put them back in the community tank, should I move them now before the eggs get eaten do you think, or leave them just incase they get it right this time?? Both appear to be fanning.

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:44

Personally I'd leave them to see how they get on, and as you say give the female a rest if nothing comes of this batch.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 12:03

Thanks Robert, its a shame more people don't use this forum, lol just you and me most of the time!! I get so jealous of all these people with huge batches of fry, I can't mange one fish lol, then again I wouldn't know what to do with 200!!! But its still fun trying! I find this whole business fascinating, just wish I'd get some results at the end! I have a few young angels growing on, maybe they'll have more success next year.

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:35

It does seem rather quiet around here, but I'm sure once Christmas is out of the way, people will start posting again.

I get so jealous of all these people with huge batches of fry
If it's any consolation, at present most of my tanks are filled with adults waiting for their chance in a breeding tank or older youngsters not quite big enough to go to the shop. I have just 1 pair together in a breeding tank and they're on about their 5th or 6th attempt. Every time the eggs/wrigglers disappear at about the 48 hour stage. The latest batch were laid today and I'm going to give them 24 hour lighting from tomorrow - wish me luck!

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 08:28

Good luck with yours Robert, sadly mine didn't make it! As there wasn't much on TV last night, I decided to put them back in the community tank. I've never had any problems with my Angels fighting but wow last night another female attacked the newcomer, I'm just hoping after lights out things calmed down! I guess it was probably my fault? as she'd recently spawned I assume she was more of a threat??

One thing I did notice though, that although the female was bought at the same time as another couple, she's huge! I guess its because she's been individually fed where as the others have had to share food.

Lindsey

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Tue 18 Dec 2012, 14:33

Lindsey,
Just a thought. Run me through your cleaning routine and how often its done, including water changes. Please don't miss ought out. You may not feel it is relevant but it could be.
If you feel you want to email it please do.
Phil
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 15:46

Update, the pair I returned to the community tank for a rest decided yesterday to spawn on the filter, but having said that it was the best spawn they've had for a long time, of course inspite of them trying to defend their eggs, they didn't last too long, today I noticed more activity on the filter, the smaller female who was getting picked on when they came back, decided she wasn't going to be left out....... so she's spawning, and my male is doing his best for a second day running!!

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  TrevorGreenfield Wed 30 Jan 2013, 13:48

Hi Lindsey,

Isn't a pity that our angels don't read the books sometimes Very Happy

My wild pair that used to spawn as soon as separated them from the fry haven't spawned for several months now. I've had growing young in the tank next to them (that they can see) and I'm thinking that may be the reason. Strange if it is though because in the past this pair have spawned again while still looking after a previous batch.

The male charged at me when I fed them last night so maybe he's beginning to feel in the mood again. Yours should sort themselves out in time I'm sure.

Trevor
TrevorGreenfield
TrevorGreenfield

http://www.angelfishkeeping.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down