UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH Header4 HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH Helios

HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH

Go down

HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH Empty HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH

Post  wildreddeer Thu 06 Dec 2012, 09:58

I'll like to thank Lisa for the opportunity to post this topic.I I hope you will all be able to learn from it at some stage. I know of a few people on this forum that will give their right leg to find out how I sex my Angels. It has taken me years of experience and there's me going to try and explain in all to you in this thread. Don't get me wrong, I will, but it will take a bit of time and patents. You will not learn over it night. It will come with time and study.

First of all before I begin I ask you all not to reply to this post, but make your own post/topic in this thread by using 'NEW TOPIC' bar at the bottom.They shall all be answered. By myself and others. So please all join in.

HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH

This topic is being written over a period of time so if you find it incomplete please come back later to read the rest

There are other ways of sexing Angels, you could wait until they lay eggs but who says there not two females. Ok you could wait for the eggs to hatch. Again Ok. But how long have the fish taken to reach this far. You could check their Papilla. But how old do they have to be to see this. My way is simple, I have been using it for years and it has never let me down. I have even sold my babies as males or females and no one has ever said I was wrong. So what’s the trick, how do I do it? To start with you may need a lot of patience and time. It’s not the sort of thing you will be able to pick up and learn just by reading this. I’ll do my best for you and try to explain.

First and for most you need to be able to see your fish side on especially if you are using photograph. The reason behind this is because the light can play tricks on your eyes. It gives you light and dark shadows, which you will find plays on your imagination. So remember side on just as the picture below.
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH 280_x_13

Now we have to look at the section of the fish from behind the nose to the bottom of the dorsal fin.
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH Ccf27116

What we are trying to do is seeing if it is just one continuous line. No humps or bumps. It does not matter if it is flat or curved. If there are any humps or bumps don’t worry it just makes it more awkward to tell. As long as we are looking between the two points, nose/fin.

No marks for the next artwork. It’s to try and explain what I mean.
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH Ccf27117

As I said not my drawings are not very brilliant.

The 3rd line being a bit bumpy but it is still a continuous line between A & B.

One continuous line is:-
No turning the corner, so to speak.
It’s the same arc.
It’s the same angle.
I’m sure you know what I mean.

Well the good news is that if it is one continuous line you have a FEMALE.

Confused, well don’t worry just yet all will be revealed.

When young all angels are seen as a female, but it is possible to sex an Angel at a very young age. Once a male, always a male. So how do we tell. It is no longer a continuous line we see. If you were to draw a line from the nose and a line from the fin, they will not meet on the same path. So in fact you could say:-
The line has turned the corner.
There are now 2 arcs.
They are both at different angels.

Here is a drawing to help show what I mean.
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH Ccf30114

I can here some of saying that picture 2 and 4 are both continuous lines.
Wrong. This is where the hard part can come in and where the keen eye is definitely needed. All the lines you see in this drawing are in fact made up of 2 lines in each. So you see it’s not that simple. If all angels where like the pictures 1 and 3, there would not be a problem, would there? But there not are they. I admit myself that some angels are very, very hard to tell apart and I must say to sex an angel 100% will only come by experience.

One tip I have that may help you and that is to take a photo of your fish, enlarge it as much as you can and draw lines on it, as I have done in the photo of a young male, at the end of this post.

This is another drawing this time a male. See where the bend, arc, 2 lines meet.
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH 280_x_14

Ok now for the punch line which I hope Rob will be able to explain this better than me. I have only ever seen this once and it really did throw me out when I sex my Angels. That is a Nuchal Hump. When I saw this I could not tell whether there was one continuous line or 2. I was cob smacked. So yes there are some angels you can not sex. From what I understand but can not confirm is that those with the Nuchal Hump are males. May be may be not.

I think I have said all there is to know about sexing your Angels. If I find I have missed anything out I shall add it on later. I dare say someone will say it does not work but it works for me and there’s proof in the pudding so to speak. I wish you all the success I had and hope you all find this all useful. I shall be including a few photos below with the lines drawn on to show you male and female. They won’t be my photo’s as I no longer keep them (sob – sob) I hope the owners don’t mind me using them. But as they are on this sight I see why not. Please feel free to ask any questions you have by posting another topic in the thread.

A MALE
You can see that the 2 line are very distinctive. May not always be as easy as this one to see.
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH A_male11

A FEMALE
Here we can see that it is a continuous line between the nose and the fin. (No bending or Turning)
HOW TO SEX YOUR ANGELFISH Female13

wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum