UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

New owner with some questions Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
New owner with some questions EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
New owner with some questions EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
New owner with some questions EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
New owner with some questions EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
New owner with some questions EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
New owner with some questions EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
New owner with some questions EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
New owner with some questions EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
New owner with some questions EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
New owner with some questions Header4 New owner with some questions Helios

New owner with some questions

3 posters

Go down

New owner with some questions Empty New owner with some questions

Post  SkunkMunkey3000 Thu 12 Nov 2015, 20:57

Hi there,

I've recently rescued 3 Platinum Angels (and a bunch of juvenile Kribensis) from a friend who was running out of space and had some other aggressive fish. I openly admit that I don't have much of an idea what I'm doing but am trying to learn as much as possible and am enjoying it so far. Currently the fish are in a borrowed tank which I admit is too small but this will be getting replaced (hopefully this weekend) by one at least twice the size. They are currently in a 60-65litre tank, with an external Fluval 404 filter (which has mature, cycled material inside) and is being kept at 27C. I'm afraid I can't tell you PH etc as the test kit is still in the post but I am doing 40% changes every couple of days at the moment to try to keep things under control.

The angels themselves (named Dave, Dave and Dave as I can't tell them apart yet) look a bit tattered as they were a bit bullied by their previous tankmates and my main concern is that they seem to have red patches at the bases of their pectoral fins. I've tried looking into this but have found a lot of conflicting information ranging from 'not a problem' to sever bacterial infections to Septacemia. I've attached photo's of the Dave's to see if this helps;

New owner with some questions DSC_01451_zpsnvxs3jg1
New owner with some questions DSC_01461_zpsslebzxe7
New owner with some questions DSC_01471_zpsa4buzlj6

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what I mean about the fins. I think given that they are a bit crammed in at the moment, they seem happy enough, they seem to have the odd nip of each other but nothing which I'd say is actual fighting and the Kribs might very occasionally nip at the lower fins but they tend to keep themselves to themselves (although I'm aware of the problems they'll cause as they mature and am planning for additional tanks once they form breeding pairs).

Any help or advice that you could give would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ian

SkunkMunkey3000

Back to top Go down

New owner with some questions Empty Re: New owner with some questions

Post  Pterophyllum Thu 12 Nov 2015, 23:20

Hi Ian,
welcome to the forum, whilst it's true that red bases to the fins can indicate septicemia, it can also result from damage, stress & poor water quality. One pale fish, such as platinums like yours, redness often shows where it wouldn't on a darker fish, getting them into their new quarters might well help the situation. Make sure that the Kribs don't keep nipping at them, and watch that in carrying out large water changes to keep the water quality good, that you don't upset the filter bacteria and make matters worse. Personally I don't like changing more than 20% at a time, although I know many recommend more substantial changes.
I wouldn't be worrying about treating them at this stage, but if things got a lot worse (and you were confident that it wasn't down to poor water quality), I'd use ESHA 2000, or myxazin, both are good broad spectrum antibacterial treatments.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Fri 13 Nov 2015, 09:19

nothing to add regarding health - just wanted to say how beautiful they are. I had a platinum myself and they are stunning. Good luck with them and I hope they settle in Smile
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  SkunkMunkey3000 Fri 13 Nov 2015, 10:30

Hi there,

Thank you for your help and comments, they are very attractive fish and even now in the tiny tank they are showing very attractive blue highlights on their fins which will hopefully become bolder as the settle in the larger tank and become less stressed. I watched them for a while last night and there is definitely one dominant one which seems to bully the others a little bit again hopefully this will settle down when they get more comfortable.

At the moment the Kribs tend to keep to themselves unless the angels get too close by I imagine I'll end up rehoming quite a few as they get older and start to pair up.

Thanks again and I'll keep you updated on their progress.

SkunkMunkey3000

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down