UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Is there anybody out there? Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Is there anybody out there? EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Is there anybody out there? EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Is there anybody out there? EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Is there anybody out there? EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Is there anybody out there? EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Is there anybody out there? EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Is there anybody out there? EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Is there anybody out there? EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Is there anybody out there? EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Is there anybody out there? Header4 Is there anybody out there? Helios

Is there anybody out there?

+4
wildreddeer
bridgegirl99
LUK
Pterophyllum
8 posters

Go down

Is there anybody out there? Empty Is there anybody out there?

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 17 Jun 2017, 23:42

I don't know if other members can see it, but for those of us with admin status at least, at the top of the page is a link to a memberlist. Clicking on it reveals not only a list of members, but how many posts they've made, and when they last visited the site, and to be frank it makes very sorry reading.
At the time of writing (17th June) there are just two members who've visited the site this month, and a total of 5 who been here since the first of May. We have to go back to 5th March to hit double figures. The figure for 2017 is a marginally more respectable 23 but the truth is the site seems like a ghost town.

One of the problems with a forum like this is that when there are few new posts, fewer people visit, and those that do, do so less frequently. When you know lots of people are going to read your post, there's a greater incentive to post, so as fewer people visit, the incentive to spend time composing a post diminishes and the whole downward spiral continues.
This isn't just a problem that affects this site, I'm also a member on TAFII, when I joined that site 8 or 9 years ago it was quite common for there to be so many active threads that I didn't have time to look at them all. These days, even on that site, posts have dried to a trickle.

One obvious reason for this is the rise of facebook forums, there are many dedicated to angels and these are still very active, and for the short term superficial and inconsequential posts, such as "Here's a photo of my fish, how many likes can I get?", they're easy to use, easy to get the quick gratification, a few dozen thumbs ups & hearts etc. But when it comes to more nuanced discussion, or referring back to a post you read 6 months previous, they're a complete waste of time.

This isn't my site, it was started by, and belongs to Lisa Davies (Ghipsi) but she last visited 12th Nov 2014, so I think we can reasonably say that she's lost interest.
But what that means in practice is that this is the site we have, and we can either use it or abandon it.

One possibility is that because the site is fully accessible to non-members, some members are popping by, but not bothering to log on, because they don't see anything new and don't feel they have anything worthwhile to say.

So I'll just make 4 requests.....

1. If you've read this post, please log on and comment, even if it's just to say, "I'm here", or, "I'm alive"
2. Please start your own thread, if only to say, "I've stopped keeping angels" or to share where you're at with the hobby.
3. If you see a new thread, comment, if only to thank the person who started it.
4. most importantly, if you see a question on an facebook forum, and you know the answer is in a tread on this forum, post a link to the answer!

There's a huge wealth of information contained in this forum, as the saying goes "Use it, or lose it"

Rob

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Is there anybody out there? Empty Re: Is there anybody out there?

Post  LUK Mon 19 Jun 2017, 20:29

Hi Rob !
I don't speak english very well , but : " I'm here ! " .
I'll come back tomorrow , I've an idea . Wink
LUK
LUK

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Tue 20 Jun 2017, 00:14

I look forward to hearing it!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Wed 05 Jul 2017, 15:49

Was that just you and me Rob??? Laughing

I have just come back from spending two weeks with my Daughter who now lives in Canada, and has just had my first Grandaughter Laughing

I left my one eyed husband (he's just had a detached retina repaired), in charge of my fry, sadly I'd only been away a couple of days when I got a message of a mass death, he did his best bless him, we think it might have been the heat? Anyway things have stabled now and I still have some left, I don't blame him, as he's not interested in fish apart from looking at them! and he did his best, just bad timing!! I have new eggs on my return and if they get to wrigglers, I'll pinch them again. Tanks need cleaning but we'll see what happens. Very Happy

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 05 Jul 2017, 18:22

Congratulations on the grandchild, commiserations on the deaths, but at least you have a few survivors.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Fri 04 Aug 2017, 18:22

Hi Rob,

I'm still about in the background.

I simper-vice with everything you have said. It is not only this site that is being hit, there are others too. Even the First Aid unit I ran ended closing due to lack of support and they where all local members. But UK Angelfish Forum is world wide, so I thought we may have had more members. Like you I blame Facebook, twitter and sites like that. Must admit none of which I belong too, and have no intention of joining. For reasons I dare not disclose publicly.

Sorry - The following may not be in order, it is as I have thought of it.

Must admit, I have thought there was something lacking a very long time ago but I could not point my finger to it. It's as if people are interest enough to look, but they can not grip hold and full off. As if they are wont to get involved but don't know how. They want a help but can't find someone to help them. Maybe we are being to basic or not basic enough. They maybe joining to find a Angelfish keeper in there area. I'm sure ever one would like to know it here was a fellow keeper/breeder near them. I started to keep the statistics of the members, active and non active. The results were very surprising. This might sound a silly question but do members know how to use the site. If other members are reading this and can not find your way around the site please ask. Some one mentioned sending out an email, that's a good idea. What do members feel about the use of a chat box.

TAKE PART AND DON'T LET OUR SITE CLOSE
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 04 Aug 2017, 21:22

Good to see you're still popping by Phil
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Is there anybody out there? Empty I am here

Post  french47 Mon 14 Aug 2017, 10:41

Good day kind Sir and fellow members, I am here in Norfolk in between tanks, I had to shut down my Angel breeding tanks and fry tanks to move to Norfolk 3 years ago.
I had to let my complete set up go at a silly price, no one wanted the tanks, My Angel pairs were auctioned at my Club and the money went into funds for the club.
I have never lost interest in fish keeping, and now I am about to move again this to Devon, the new house has a garage so now I can " SET UP A NEW FISH ROOM AND START AGAIN!!!!
Oh, happy days.
french47
french47

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Tue 15 Aug 2017, 09:05

Glad to hear that you're getting back into it.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Is there anybody out there? Empty It's Alive, It's Alive I Tell You

Post  DJDisasterMaster Wed 16 Aug 2017, 09:27

Just Checked My Pulse And Yes I Am Alive Not So Well But Certainly Alive

DJDisasterMaster

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Wed 16 Aug 2017, 14:38

Glad to hear your both still with us.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 16 Aug 2017, 18:55

Great to hear!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Is there anybody out there? Empty I've been distracted but I'm back

Post  TrevorGreenfield Wed 14 Mar 2018, 10:10

Hi Rob,

It's amazing how many things there are to distract us these days. I've been off happily still keeping and breeding my angels and just got out of the habit of stopping by here. I have moved house which creates havoc with your fishkeeping but that shouldn't have stopped me from visiting from time to time.

As other people have said Facebook does seem to have got everybody hooked these days and all forums are suffering from the same thing. Our BCA forum is suffering in the same way but several people are joining our Facebook group everyday.

A forum is so much more useful than Facebook because you can never find what you're looking for on Facebook and you can on a forum but social media seems to have gripped the world in such an addictive way that I think is not good for us.

To keep the hobby going we have to appeal to younger fishkeepers and they live their lives on social media. Try taking a phone away from a youngster and you'll see a panic set in like you were going to deprive them of oxygen.

If members got an email every time a post was made (which I don't think happens because I haven't been receiving them) that would remind them to come over and have a look.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back and I'll do my utmost to make it a habit again now.
TrevorGreenfield
TrevorGreenfield

http://www.angelfishkeeping.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer Wed 14 Mar 2018, 15:42

Cheers for that Trevor and well spoken. Cool I too agree about face book but we can not stop that.
wildreddeer
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Is there anybody out there? Empty ps:

Post  Mims_0 Wed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51

PS: you will also need to throw away EVERY thing you have...nets, all equipment. Fish TB can survive where there is no water...it forms a spore. (Similar to human TB).

Mims_0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum