UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Perfect Pair? Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Perfect Pair? EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Perfect Pair? EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Perfect Pair? EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Perfect Pair? EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Perfect Pair? EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Perfect Pair? EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Perfect Pair? EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Perfect Pair? EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Perfect Pair? EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Perfect Pair? Header4 Perfect Pair? Helios

Perfect Pair?

3 posters

Go down

Perfect Pair? Empty Perfect Pair?

Post  bridgegirl99 Wed 27 Aug 2014, 18:05

Any idea why my perfect parent raising Angels have just eaten their last two spawns???

I've had 4 or 5 successful spawns, but the last two got eaten after they moved the wrigglers?? No idea which fish was guilty.

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Perfect Pair? Empty Re: Perfect Pair?

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 29 Aug 2014, 17:26

There are lots of reasons why angels don't parent raise. Often it can boil down to security, if they feel vunerable or insecure they're likely to eat their eggs or young. So if they've only started egg eating since being moved to a new tank, that might be the issue. One of my first pairs were good parents, but would usually eat the first couple of spawns whenever they were moved to a different tank.
Another possible issue may be that the eggs/wrigglers aren't developing properly this can be down to diet, water quality (including temperature), or simply over spawning (each batch of eggs the female produces requires a considerable investment in nutrients, with regular spawning it's possible that the female could become deficient in one or more of these).
A further possible explanation, if the parents have remained in the same tank, is a build up of pathogens.

There are many other possible causes, but whatever the explanation, the solution is much the same :-

Move the pair either to separate tanks, or a community tank with lots of other fish, feed them up well on a good quality diet, and give them at least a month off. Before introducing them or any other pairs to the breeding tank. Bleach the tank using a peroxide bleach (Milton's baby bottle bleach is ideal). Leave for 48 hours, drain, refill, drain again, refill. Once up to temperature add a mature filter (I use air driven sponge filters with at least 2 sponges in each tank, that way if I need a mature filter after a strip down, I can pinch a mature sponge from one of the other tanks.) Leave for 24- 48 hours and check for ammonia & nitrite before adding any fish.

Although I don't always follow this procedure before adding a new pair to a breeding tank, I do always give the tank a good clean. If however I've had high mortalities, poor hatch rates, or an unsuccessful pairing, I usually bleach the tank. I've noticed that I usually get larger batches immediately after this process. In practice I'd rather have a batch of 100-200 babies than one of 500-600. But if I wanted larger batches, I'd be bleaching the breeding tanks more frequently!

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  peaches Fri 29 Aug 2014, 20:43

Thanks for reminding me about using Milton or baby bottle sterilizer. I used to do this to clean out fry tanks but I ran out of it and started using Acriflavine. I will get some more Milton, Sainsburys do their own brand and its a lot cheaper. I have also used the baby bottle sterlizing tablets which are not dissimilar to the bleach tabs you get in the pound shop. I have disinfected nets and other equipment with them. You do need to rinse well, and I double dechlorinate too. I have wondered how I would get on using my steam cleaner to sterilize things.

I am yet to experience a pair of my angels which will parent raise the fry which is a little depressing. I have considered covering the tanks with black bags as I saw another breeder who had done that.
peaches
peaches

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Sat 30 Aug 2014, 15:09

Thanks Rob some very good advice............ as usual Very Happy

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down