UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Mrs Grumpy!! Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Mrs Grumpy!! EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Mrs Grumpy!! EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Mrs Grumpy!! EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Mrs Grumpy!! EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Mrs Grumpy!! EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Mrs Grumpy!! EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Mrs Grumpy!! EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Mrs Grumpy!! EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Mrs Grumpy!! EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Mrs Grumpy!! Header4 Mrs Grumpy!! Helios

Mrs Grumpy!!

2 posters

Go down

Mrs Grumpy!! Empty Mrs Grumpy!!

Post  bridgegirl99 Thu 01 May 2014, 17:41

Why does one fish cause so many problems?????Shocked 

Mrs Grumpy has had about 10 attempts now at breeding, the only success I've had so far is when I moved the pair after 2 days, before the wrigglers arrived, I guess its sort of my fault for moving her, but I wanted to try raising a few fry myself.

Anyway she (and her partner) went into a tank with 2 other Angels, one a juvenile and one a female!! Needless to say she didn't like the female and proceeded to beat her up! I divided the tank, (two on either side) and everything seemed reasonably OK, she laid some eggs and between them ate them, but a day or two later the other female wanted to get in on the act and crossed the border, I spotted this before work, so didn't have time to do anything, so I removed the divider, just to give them some more space to escape.

When I got home, the tables had turned, the other female had pinched the male and was attacking Mrs Grumpy! The male kept with the new female. So I decided to move poor Mrs Grumpy again.No 

This time I moved her to my display tank, thinking that with a lot more fish she'd be outnumbered and behave (I have a feeling most of the adults in this tank are male), how wrong can you be!! She has decided the tank is hers, she's rounded most of them up and they're spending a lot of the time stuck in a corner!!

I'm at a loss as to what to do now (also running out of tanks!!), If one of them fancies her, then I guess I could move them, but it might be a strange old mixture lol

Should I just leave her to it for a day or two and see if someone takes her fancy, or should I move her again to solitary?? She's not beating them up yet, just charging at them, would turning the lights off help?? The adults seem to cope with her bullying, but I feel sorry for the poor juveniles! scratch

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Mrs Grumpy!! Empty Re: Mrs Grumpy!!

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 02 May 2014, 14:54

I keep my angels rather heavily stocked, in heavily planted tanks, and I find that doing so I get very few problems with aggression.
There is often a degree of fighting when newly introduced, but once a hierachy is established, although they may squabble, very little serious damage occurs, simply because, IMO, they realise that it's too crowded for any one individual to dominate the space.
Moving her to her own tank, or a tank with just one or two other inhabitants is simply rewarding & reinforcing the behaviour, as it's giving her what she was trying to achieve, a territory all to herself. Instead I'd move her into a tank with as many angels as possible, preferably the other inhabitants should be larger and the tank well planted, or with plenty of wood or other cover for those individuals who don't want to fight. After a few days she will hopefully realise that her efforts are futile and calm down!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Fri 02 May 2014, 18:41

Sounds sensible, thanks Rob

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Sat 03 May 2014, 16:59

You were right (of course) Laughing  she's calmed down and the rest are looking a lot more relaxed.

As for her ex and the new female, she spawned yesterday, eggs still there today, but lots are white, I'm not surprised really as he had to do the business at the beginning of the week as well!! lol so a rest and plenty of protein and we'll see what happens next time! sunny 

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 03 May 2014, 18:26

You were right (of course) she's calmed down

I'm glad I was, and that she has, but I'm not convinced by the "of course", I'm definitely not the font of all knowledge, and I do definitely get things wrong. Smile 
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Mon 05 May 2014, 07:51

Well it seems I had the wrong pair together!! Mrs Grumpys ex and the new female still have eggs, well to be fair still have fungused eggs lol BUT they have half a dozen wrigglers which dad is guarding on a new leaf, much further then he got with Mrs Grumpy! They're not alone in this tank, but when I get back from holiday, I shall put them in their own tank and see what happens! I can't get my poor daughter raising babies again this year!! lol

Hopefully I now have a pair of blues that will parent raise  Laughing

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum