UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Pinoy Joy. Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Pinoy Joy. EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Pinoy Joy. EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Pinoy Joy. EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Pinoy Joy. EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Pinoy Joy. EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Pinoy Joy. EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Pinoy Joy. EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Pinoy Joy. EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Pinoy Joy. EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Pinoy Joy. Header4 Pinoy Joy. Helios

Pinoy Joy.

2 posters

Go down

Pinoy Joy. Empty Pinoy Joy.

Post  spyderuk Sat 05 Oct 2013, 18:50

Only put this pair together around 20th September.

Father is a smokey pinoy I got from Rob, a bit washed out with flash but no flash is just showing all black.

Pinoy Joy. Dad10

Mum is a blue ghost, one of your's Gibbo. Wink

Pinoy Joy. Mumm10

They spawned within days and done a great job although the wrigglers were in a clump on the base of the tank. They did try to stick them onto the slate but it just wasn't happening. This evening they have a good bunch of freeswimmers. Just rinsing their first feed. Smile 

Pinoy Joy. Mum10

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Pinoy Joy. Empty Re: Pinoy Joy.

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 05 Oct 2013, 18:58

Congratulations.
You'll soon have those paraibas you're after (hopefully)
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Sat 05 Oct 2013, 19:40

Thanks Rob. I sure hope so. That one is "Jet". Had to check the other brother "Dizzy" in the community to be sure. If this pairing fails to produce the blushers then I have another shot.

I've also thought about pairing this ghost with a blue leopard. Would love to see some clowns.

Gibbo. The female ghost is unnamed, any suggestions?

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 05 Oct 2013, 22:50

On long car journeys my family sometimes plays a game called "Bird, Wing, Plane". The idea is to take turns finding word associations until someone inadvertently brings you back full circle.
When it comes to naming fish, I find using similar associations both for mates and offspring, helps in remembering relationships between individuals.
So for example, My first pair of marbles were called Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dee, because they looked so similar, sadly Dum died, so I repaired Dee with a very large male called Samson and Dee became "Delila".
I have another pair called Graham (Garden) and Rose (Garden) Whilst for reasons explained only by my warped mind "Winston" reminded me of Winston Churchill, and his offspring include Tony "Blair" - he had very red eyes.

For those who are fans of Douglas Adams, I had a male called Arthur, who's mate was called Trillian, and her sister was Fenchurch.

In the case of Jet, I'd have to call his mate Joan, and two of the offspring Black and Heart.

Black could be mated to "Magic", "Sabbath".....
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Sat 05 Oct 2013, 23:42

Pterophyllum wrote:On long car journeys my family sometimes plays a game called "Bird, Wing, Plane". The idea is to take turns finding word associations until someone inadvertently brings you back full circle.
When it comes to naming fish, I find using similar associations both for mates and offspring, helps in remembering relationships between individuals.
So for example, My first pair of marbles were called Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dee, because they looked so similar, sadly Dum died, so I repaired Dee with a very large male called Samson and Dee became "Delila".
I have another pair called Graham (Garden) and Rose (Garden) Whilst for reasons explained only by my warped mind "Winston" reminded me of Winston Churchill, and his offspring include Tony "Blair" - he had very red eyes.

For those who are fans of Douglas Adams, I had a male called Arthur, who's mate was called Trillian, and her sister was Fenchurch.

In the case of Jet, I'd have to call his mate Joan, and two of the offspring Black and Heart.

Black could be mated to "Magic", "Sabbath".....

What? Shocked 

I think I'll call her "Lucy" clown 

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 05 Oct 2013, 23:48

What? Shocked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Jett
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:05

Your system is a little complicated for me Rob. If I was in your family, I would always lose that game. I'm going to have start creating notes though.

I removed the parents last night. I just can't face doing water changes with a pair of adults and a swarm of fry in the tank.

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sun 06 Oct 2013, 20:29

Notes are one of the most important tools long term!
Just remember when you write your notes now, that you might need to access information in 5 or 10 years time, so make sure your record keeping is clear & easy to reference.

I'm starting to realise that my record keeping needs to be improved, as I'm struggling to keep track of the parentage of some of my fish!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Mon 07 Oct 2013, 11:15

Pterophyllum wrote:
Just remember when you write your notes now, that you might need to access information in 5 or 10 years time, so make sure your record keeping is clear & easy to reference.

I'm starting to realise that my record keeping needs to be improved, as I'm struggling to keep track of the parentage of some of my fish!
Is that down to the name changes of parents? It would screw me over.

My angels are from 4 different sources so with some careful planning and crossing I can be good for a couple of generations. By that time I should be all setup and running and looking for fresh blood.

I was thinking of making up a template for a kind of document for each fish that ends up a breeder. I generally only name fish that are breeders to keep things simple. The document would contain all history of the fish and if bred by myself all parentage history along with a photo or two. Another could be using sheets of A5 paper for the documents and a pack of blue tack to create a family tree on a large wall somewhere. Smile

Edit. Day 3 of freeswimming, had a couple of corpses so far but they seem to be feeding well and I can already tell the pinoy's from the non pinoy's by the black line running down the spine. Laughing 

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 07 Oct 2013, 15:25

One of the issues, is that some varieties are easier to keep track of than others. With marbles the black markings are reasonably fixed, so a fish can be identified by it's markings weeks, months or even years later.
By contrast the smokey pattern seems much more fluid, especially where there's a streaked gene in play, and in the case of platinum there are few consistent identifiers as the fish grow. On occasions I've put some small smokey paraiba/blue smokeys/platinums etc. in with some larger ones, thinking I'll know which are which, and 2 months later, the small ones have grown out of all recognition and I can't work out which came from which batch.

Is that down to the name changes of parents? It would screw me over.
Just to clarify "Dee" was always known as "Dee", it's just that she started out as Tweedle Dee and then when I paired her with a huge angel called Samson, I tended to think of her as "Dee"-lila.

There is a memory technique called "Memory Linking", which involves trying to think up bizarre links between objects on a list, the more outlandish & Bizarre, the easier the list is to remember. So to take another example, one of my fish (my avatar actually) is called Brian, I named him Brian because his brother looked like Freddie Mercury (Had a very prominent black mark around his mouth....)
Brian was named after Brian May, so his first partner was named Anita (Dobson), his second "May" and his third, I can't remember (just looked it up - Vera) because theres no link, however illogical between her name & his!

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Mon 07 Oct 2013, 19:04

Sounds interesting but I'll stick to a simpler system. I'm not that clued up on who is doing who on the celebrity front either. Embarassed 

I can understand the difficulty as both those pinoy's I named "Jet" and "Dizzy" I can only tell apart in one way. The trailing bits on the tails. Jet has 2 nice long even ones while Dizzy has one slightly shorter than the other. I cannot keep them together as it always causes problems. They were best pals whilst growing up though.

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down