UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

I'm So Excited .... Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
I'm So Excited .... EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
I'm So Excited .... EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
I'm So Excited .... EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
I'm So Excited .... EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
I'm So Excited .... EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
I'm So Excited .... EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
I'm So Excited .... EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
I'm So Excited .... EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
I'm So Excited .... EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
I'm So Excited .... Header4 I'm So Excited .... Helios

I'm So Excited ....

5 posters

Go down

I'm So Excited .... Empty I'm So Excited ....

Post  Akasha Fri 28 Aug 2015, 15:50

... but also ever so sad too

My special 'signed' copy of the final ever Discworld novel arrived today. The inside cover has been embossed and stamped with Sir Terry Pratchett's signature and seal.

I treasure my Discworld collection but this book needed to be extra special which is why I got it from the official site discworld.com and had it's stamped. Sir Terry will be so terribly missed by all of us mad, crazed Discworld fans. The story ends here ...

If you don't hear from me for a few days this will be because my head is buried in a book.

There Will Be A Reckoning .... Crivens!!
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

I'm So Excited .... Empty Re: I'm So Excited ....

Post  Deans_Angels Fri 28 Aug 2015, 18:41

I'm not well read but do enjoy your book.

Chinese proverb: A book tightly shut is but a block of paper.

Dean

Deans_Angels

http://www.angelfish.org,uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 28 Aug 2015, 19:04

My son promised me copy as a belated father's day present, I got it today too.....

I'm liable to finish it within 24 hours, although I might try and savour it, with it being the last ever Sad
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Fri 28 Aug 2015, 20:33

I was never a reader until a friend put me onto Discworld when I was going through a tough time. He thought stepping into a fantasy world would help me through my stress and it was the best thing anyone ever did for me!

I now read and re-read. I've read all the Harry Potter books, some of Anne Rice's vampire chronicles (that's where my nickname came from when a different friend likened me to Akasha one day when I was in a strop ... it kind of stuck lol) I've also read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Ring trilogy but I just keep on going back to Discworld!

I'm currently re-reading Witches Abroad (love Granny Weatherwax!) and as soon as I've finished it I start on The Shepherd's Crown.... for now I'm savouring the excitement

Enjoy Rob ... Crivens! Ye can tek our lives but you'll never tek our troosers!
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 28 Aug 2015, 23:19

Amongst your list you don't mention Douglas Adams, another incredible mind, taken from us much too soon. If you like Terry Pratchett, I'm sure you'd enjoy his work too.
The first book by Terry Pratchett I read, and in my opinion one of his best, was "Good Omens" co-authored with Neil Gaiman, his work is somewhat darker, but also, IMO, excellent.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:20

I tried to read Good Omens but I just couldn't get into it. I have read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman but again - I struggled to get into it. I did finish it but I can't say it was a book that I enjoyed. Occasionally though I get a discworld book that I don't enjoy - there are a few on my shelf that I rarely re-read - the first two books, moving pictures and soul music arn't favourites. I could read Going Postal every day though, and Making Money and I really enjoyed Raising Steam. I like Mr slightly Damp as a character. He makes me laugh

Now Terry has passed on I am looking for another fantasy author to keep me occupied so I'll have a look at Douglas Adams. Are there any other fantasy authors you (or anyone else) can recommend?

There was an interview with Terry's publisher and Rob Wilkins on breakfast tv shared on discworld.com's facebook page and there's apparently 10 other discworld part works that Terry was working on and will now go unpublished ... such a shame for the fans Sad
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 29 Aug 2015, 15:40

Finished it!

Moist is one of my favourite characters too, but there were so many others.

Can't really help with other fantasy writers, but HHGTTG should keep you going for a little while.

If you want to try another Gaiman, I'd suggest "the Ocean at the end of the lane". When I read I find that I'm sucked into the book, Neil Gaiman's books are like living dreams, it takes me a few days to wake up from one of his.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sun 30 Aug 2015, 09:01

I can't believe you've read it already!! I finished Witched Abroad last night and so at some point today I'll bury my head in the new book.

There was a very poignant paragraph towards the end of Witched Abroad that made me smile

"It was said afterwards that, every year on Samedi Nuit Mort, when the carnival was at its height and the drums were loudest and the rum was nearly all gone, a man in a tail coat and a top hat and with the energy of a demon would appear out of nowhere and lead the dance.
After all, even stories have to start somewhere."

Well for me the story started there and today I start the final story.
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Grummie2 Sun 30 Aug 2015, 14:13

You could try the works of Philip Jose Farmer, the 'World of Tiers' series is my favourite, also the 'Riverworld' series. I have been gradually building up my collection of his works, I haven't read a book or short story from him that I haven't liked!

Grummie2

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sun 30 Aug 2015, 15:51

okay, thanks Grummie, I'll have a look at that too Very Happy

Started The Shepherds Crown this afternoon whilst having a picnic in the park. I got fed up of being interupted by screeching kids and out of control dogs so gave up!
I fear it might be a page turner though
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  frapadoodle Sun 30 Aug 2015, 23:12

Read Riverworld, interesting at the start, but not thrilled with the third and fourth books.

frapadoodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Mon 31 Aug 2015, 09:16

I'm only on chapter 3 of Shepherd's Crown and I don't think I want to read any more. Not happy Sad
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 31 Aug 2015, 10:43

It does bring it home that this is the last ever Terry Pratchett book, but not, I suspect, the last ever Discworld novel. Publishers have a habit of finding someone else to carry on a popular "franchise". Look at James Bond, or Sherlock Holmes.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Tue 01 Sep 2015, 18:29

it was the killing off of one my favourite characters that I'm not dealing with. I tried to read some more last night and I realised I had tears streaming down my face.
I think I'm going to struggle to read this book. I have a friend who's finished reading it too and he's telling me to keep going but I'm fighting the urge to put the book on the shelf and leave it un-read.

I was put on to Discworld when in a really vunerable place and it helped me to relax and unwind my mind. Ever since I've used Discworld as a crutch when I'm stressed or worried about something. I still use it to relax and unwind and probably as a tool to clear my mind of 'stuff'. I think all that taken into account is the reason I'm really struggling to read this book. I don't want it to be over ... I don't think my head is ready for that just yet Sad
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Tue 01 Sep 2015, 18:32

and I've just realised that makes me sound like a right nutjob lol ... which I'm not! I'm a sensitive person - which I'm not ashamed to admit to
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Wed 02 Sep 2015, 17:52

It's okay, it's not like you've exposed yourself to the whole internet Smile

Deans_Angels

http://www.angelfish.org,uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Wed 02 Sep 2015, 18:28

lol ... ah well never mind hey lol
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 02 Sep 2015, 23:06

It's strange, I was sad when I got to chapter 3, I thought, "Oh, no more stories with ........... in them"; then I thought, "Oh, no more discworld novels full stop, they all died along with Terry", and strangely that didn't seem quite so bad, perhaps because I'd already had chance to come to terms with his untimely death.
As I said previously, I can't imagine that the publishers will let the discworld be, and I wonder if Terry thought that too & wanted to stop others fiddling with one of, I suspect, his favourite characters.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Thu 03 Sep 2015, 09:15

Not sure if I mentioned it in a previous post but Rob Wilkins was on breakfast tv along with Terry's publisher. He happened to drop a clanger. He said Terry always worked on several stories at once and so he know's of 10 other discworld part works. He did say it was Terry's wish that when his heart stopped his hard drive died too and so those part works would never be published... somehow there's a piece of me that hopes that in time that feeling changes and Terry's family allow them to be finished and released.

For now I've decided not to read The Shepherds Crown. It's not the right time for me. Last night I picked up one my favourite Discworld novels - Going Postal - and began re-reading.
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum