UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Python, python, python Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Python, python, python EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Python, python, python EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Python, python, python EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Python, python, python EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Python, python, python EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Python, python, python EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Python, python, python EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Python, python, python EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Python, python, python EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Python, python, python Header4 Python, python, python Helios

Python, python, python

2 posters

Go down

Python, python, python Empty Python, python, python

Post  Brian1 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 21:48

Not a snake, a no spill and fill water changer, my daughter bought it for Fathers day for me, this is going to make WC so easy, no more lifting buckets ,wow!!  here's a link, links do not work on this forum......

Brian1

Back to top Go down

Python, python, python Empty Re: Python, python, python

Post  peaches Sat 21 Jun 2014, 10:52

I made my own python a few years ago, using a hose several hozelock type connectors etc. You start it yourself by filling the hose with water from your tap, then switching off the tap, putting the hose in your sink, drain, toilet or whatever, then the tank empties itself. I fill using the same hose, attached to a HMA unit. Essential piece of kit if you have multiple tanks and a 6ft monster tank.
peaches
peaches

Back to top Go down

Python, python, python Empty python

Post  Brian1 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 12:42

Would have been a lot cheaper doing it that way peachers, when do you put your de-chlorinate in, as the water goes in or after?

Brian1

Back to top Go down

Post  peaches Sun 24 Aug 2014, 20:46

Brian1 wrote:Would have been a lot cheaper doing it that way peachers, when do you put your de-chlorinate in, as the water goes in or after?

I thought I had replied to this, but missed it , sorry. I have a HMA filter, I fill the tank with water from this, it dechlorinates for me. Before I got that, I would add dechlorinator to the tank as I start adding the water. So I have a short hose which goes from tap to HMA filter, then my python "copy" is attached to the output of the HMA using hozelock connectors, and that goes into the tank. Its essential if you have multiple tanks and a bad back!
peaches
peaches

Back to top Go down

Python, python, python Empty python

Post  Brian1 Sun 24 Aug 2014, 22:47

Thanks for your reply peaches, I am adding half DE chlorinate at the start, and the rest as I finish filling, I am adding enough for the whole tank, would you say if that's ok.........

Brian1

Back to top Go down

Post  peaches Mon 25 Aug 2014, 15:37

Brian1 wrote:Thanks for your reply peaches, I am adding half DE chlorinate  at the start, and the rest as I finish filling, I am adding enough for the whole tank, would you say if that's ok.........

Yes as long as youre adding enough, as you say. Might as well drop it all in at first though. I am not sure how long the process takes, but someone told me it was fairly instantaneous. Are you using Seachem Prime? Its the best and most economical in my opinion.
peaches
peaches

Back to top Go down

Post  peaches Mon 25 Aug 2014, 16:00

According to an article in Practical Fishkeeping, it takes 2 minutes for all chlorine to be eliminated and 5 minutes for chloramine. A few years ago I wrote to my local water board and found they dont use chloramine in my supply just chlorine. I dont know if this is till the case, but my HMA takes care of both of them and a lot of other bad stuff too. In an ideal world I would aerate water overnight, but in practice I actually only do this for young fry. There is a lot of debate about all these practices on the internet, if you google it. Some people even turn their filters off if adding water straight to the tank from a python. The idea being if the chlorine gets to your good bacteria, youve lost it. I am sure this isnt the case. Chlorine in our supply is just enough to take care of bacteria in the pipes on the way to our taps. There isnt sufficient chlorine in it to continually keep killing all bacteria, otherwise we wouldnt need to use disinfectants when cleaning up, we would just use tap water. Swimming pools add chlorine to the water, because once again, in tap water there isnt enough chlorine to continually keep killing germs.

A fellow fishkeeper with a fish house lives about 5 miles away. He had an aquaintance with a water board employee who actually came to his house and measured the amount of chlorine in water coming out of his tap. He pronounced the level to be low and safe for aquatic life, and now this person doesnt use a dechlorinator. I would be sceptical about his claims if he didnt keep winning prizes at our local fish club shows. I wouldnt take the risk myself though.
peaches
peaches

Back to top Go down

Python, python, python Empty De Chlorinate

Post  Brian1 Mon 25 Aug 2014, 23:25

Thanks peaches that info is much appreciated............

Brian1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum