UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

My Golden veil's Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
My Golden veil's EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
My Golden veil's EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
My Golden veil's EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
My Golden veil's EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
My Golden veil's EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
My Golden veil's EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
My Golden veil's EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
My Golden veil's EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
My Golden veil's EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
My Golden veil's Header4 My Golden veil's Helios

My Golden veil's

2 posters

Go down

My Golden veil's Empty My Golden veil's

Post  Phil Unsworth Mon 06 May 2013, 19:39

Just started to get into angel genetics and find it very interesting, i read a little at a time, so as to understand it all and it's going well. Ok, I have 4 golden veils starting to pair off and don't now the parents genetics so i was wondering are they g/g, must they be g/g because the gold allele is recessive. From what i can read up on, my gold's offspring could have different fin length's, that's ok, but can i be confident they will be gold.
Phil Unsworth
Phil Unsworth

Back to top Go down

My Golden veil's Empty Re: My Golden veil's

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 06 May 2013, 21:16

Hi Phil,
Gold is recessive so to be a gold the fish must be g/g, so you can be confident that all their offspring will be too. The only two possible spanners in the works would be if both parents were carrying either albino, in which case a quarter of the offspring would be albino golds, or Philippine Blue, in which case a quarter of the offspring will be platinums.
Finally if both parents were ghosts (ie had a stripeless gene) then 1/4 of the offspring would be gold blushing (aka sunsets).

....Obviously if both parents carried, albino, stripeless & Philippine blue, then you'd end up with quite a mixture!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

My Golden veil's Empty Present and future genes

Post  Phil Unsworth Thu 09 May 2013, 11:11

Pterophyllum wrote:Hi Phil,
Gold is recessive so to be a gold the fish must be g/g, so you can be confident that all their offspring will be too. The only two possible spanners in the works would be if both parents were carrying either albino, in which case a quarter of the offspring would be albino golds, or Philippine Blue, in which case a quarter of the offspring will be platinums.
Finally if both parents were ghosts (ie had a stripeless gene) then 1/4 of the offspring would be gold blushing (aka sunsets).

....Obviously if both parents carried, albino, stripeless & Philippine blue, then you'd end up with quite a mixture!

Thank's for the reply
I purchase my angel's from the aquatic shop's the genes they carry am unaware of until they have offspring. Can i purchase fish with a family tree so to speak.
Phil Unsworth
Phil Unsworth

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Thu 09 May 2013, 16:24

Can i purchase fish with a family tree so to speak.

Certainly you can create a family tree by keeping very careful track of parents and offspring. I've done this with my fish and can trace parentage back 5 or 6 generations in some cases. This can help in determining the genetics, but doesn't mean I can be certain of all the genes in any one individual.
Even without a family tree, if you buy fish from a breeder who can show you the parents & siblings, it can give you a better idea of what genes might be lurking in your fish.

All that said, the surprise of discovering something unexpected in shoal of babies is, in my opinion, one of the pleasures of breeding fish!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

My Golden veil's Empty Offspring, the unexpected

Post  Phil Unsworth Fri 10 May 2013, 19:50

My zebra angel's offspring consist of zebra's and silver's due to both parents being z/+ z/+ which is fine, when the time's right i separate each of them one rearing tank as zebra's and one rearing tank has silver's in it. I have found not only have the silver's inherited the wild look in appearance, but an aggression too each other. There is no one dominant fish in a group of six to ten, more like ''he's a punch, pass in on'' and that's at about 16 week's old. The zebra's, at the same age are peaceful, is this normal?. Surprised

Phil Unsworth
Phil Unsworth

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 11 May 2013, 00:22

It's not something I've noticed, are there any other variables, tank size, water temperature, etc.?
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down