UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

angelfish behaviour - post egg laying Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
angelfish behaviour - post egg laying Header4 angelfish behaviour - post egg laying Helios

angelfish behaviour - post egg laying

2 posters

Go down

angelfish behaviour - post egg laying Empty angelfish behaviour - post egg laying

Post  markangel Wed 09 Jan 2013, 18:12

i wonder if you could help with this? I had a spawn about 2 weeks ago, all was going ok. a few days ago the pair showed signs of spawning again. then i awoke one morning to find all the babies gone - eaten by one or both parents . the morning after, fresh eggs. now the male is guarding the eggs and wont let the female near them and he's been agressive towards her. they have never been like this before and usually look after the eggs together. any ideas why the male has had a sudden change of behavior?

markangel

Back to top Go down

angelfish behaviour - post egg laying Empty Re: angelfish behaviour - post egg laying

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 09 Jan 2013, 19:39

Female angels need to eat food to convert it into eggs before they can lay eggs. In the wild food is quite scarce, so whilst guarding a shoal of fry (which many other fish might regard as a good lunch), a female is unlikely to find sufficient food to become ripe and ready to lay.
The situation in an aquarium is very different, with the aquarist delivering copious amounts of food at regular intervals, and it's quite common for females to become heavy with eggs whilst still guarding the previous batch. In some cases they lay and attempt to guard both, usually when this happens the fry start to eat the eggs, now the parents are conflicted, they want to defend their fry, but also their eggs from potential predators, yet their fry are themselves predating the eggs.
From what you describe I suspect the female's desire to defend the eggs was stronger than her desire to defend the fry, now the male blames her, and won't let her near the eggs in case she eats those too!

Chances are that things will settle down in a day or so, but keep an eye on them in case the male is too aggressive with the female. In future, watch out for the signs that the parents are preparing to spawn again, and remove them, or their fry before they do!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down