UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Bizarre!........... Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Bizarre!........... EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Bizarre!........... EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Bizarre!........... EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Bizarre!........... EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Bizarre!........... EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Bizarre!........... EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Bizarre!........... EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Bizarre!........... EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Bizarre!........... EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Bizarre!........... Header4 Bizarre!........... Helios

Bizarre!...........

3 posters

Go down

Bizarre!........... Empty Bizarre!...........

Post  bridgegirl99 Wed 07 Nov 2012, 20:20

Still patiently waiting for my pair to get past day 2/3 wriggler stage, but they have just surprised me!

The pair are on their own in a nice tank, complete with all mod cons, assorted plants and a lovely cone lol, they have been pretty regular with their spawns, just 1 or 2 days different, until just over a week ago......... they decided not to bother! This coincided with me having a nasty car crash and spending 10 days in hospital! All the time I was away from home, I asked my daughter if they had spawned... nothing! Its not because she didn't notice (honestly!), but within 24 hours of me coming home they started cleaning........ and today presented me with a nice spawn on the cone!!

So perhaps they needed an audience after all??? Anyway its given me a bit of a lift and something to watch!! I'm trying lights on this time to see if it makes a difference?? Also one good thing I'm off work so I can attend to their needs immediately!! Very Happy

Lindsey

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Bizarre!........... Empty Re: Bizarre!...........

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 07 Nov 2012, 20:46

Hi Lindsey,
sorry to hear about the crash, hope you are mending well, and good luck with the spawn.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Wed 07 Nov 2012, 20:53

Hi Lindsey,
Sorry to hear about the crash & wish you luck with the spawn.

Paul
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 11:28

Hey ho back to the drawing board!!! They seem so good at looking after the eggs, they just seem to get confused once they get to wrigglers?? They move them and thats when it all goes wrong! I've left the lights on and it doesn't seem to have made a difference, its only been me sitting quietly in the opposite corner of the room, so I'm not sure what else to try....... except patience!! lol

Back to fattening them up for the next try!!

Lindsey

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 12 Nov 2012, 13:11

Hi Lindsey,
That they move the wrigglers is a good sign, I'm sure they'll get the hang of things eventually.
One possible explanation is that the young are dying and getting eaten, next time they spawn try syphoning out about half the batch and raising them in a separate tank. If the separate ones don't thrive, you could have a dietary deficiency in the adults, try changing the food, or adding extra variety. In fact the one time I tried this, the parents did an excellent job of looking after the wrigglers I left them with!
On other occasions I've removed one or other parent, where one fish seems to be the culprit and the remaining, usually female, will often do a good job as a single parent.
One other thing to consider, is that some fish will regard you as a potential threat and predator, if when you approach the tank the parents rush forward to see you off, then there's no need to worry. But if they, cower at the back, or worse still fly around in panic, then they're feeling pretty nervous and are much more likely to eat the young.
The best thing you can do in that situation is keep clear of the tank and resist the temptation to see how they're doing, if they make any threatening gestures, retreat, to give them confidence that they can see you off if they need to!

Oh yes, personally I don't do water changes on tanks where there are parents with eggs or wrigglers, and I generally try to avoid them on tanks where the adults have free swimmers, unless absolutely essential. If you do do a water change, don't change more than 5 or 10% of the water, babies can be far more sensitive to water quality changes than their parents.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 13:26

Thanks Rob some good tips, I'll see what "we" can do with the next attempt!!

Lindsey

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum