UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 Header4 My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 Helios

My first batch of angelfish eggs

4 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 Empty Re: My first batch of angelfish eggs

Post  Akasha Sun 28 Sep 2014, 18:46

the angels are going around the tank together cleaning everything again ... I'll give it a week, 10 days at the most before I see eggs again
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

My first batch of angelfish eggs - Page 2 Empty Re: My first batch of angelfish eggs

Post  Pterophyllum Sun 28 Sep 2014, 20:41

won't there be a risk of the bag catching fire from the heat?

That's why I said :-

Don't over do it or the tube could overheat, but half the tube won't harm.

obviously worth keeping an eye on it when you first do it, but it tends to be the ends rather than the middle of a light tube that gets hot.

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sun 28 Sep 2014, 22:09

okay, thanks Smile

Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Mon 29 Sep 2014, 09:52

I've now got a problem with this tank. Last night I noticed there were these white worm things on the glass and in the water. They are about 2mm in length - they are moving so they are alive. They are tiny, thin things, they almost look like specks of dust.

I checked my ammonia and nitrite and both are zero so they're not affecting the water. The angels seem fine aswell but seen as I'm not certain what they are, where they have come from or what they could do then I'm slightly concerned.

I have had them before when I was breeding cories. Back then they were in a 25 litre tank so I took the cories out, emptied the tank, washed it with hot water, re-filled and put the cory fry back but I can't do that with a 110 litre tank and two angelfish!

I suspected planaria but I'm not certain, I'm also not certain whether planaria are safe or whether they'll go on their own. The tank had a 25% water change yesterday.
If anyone has any clues as to what these are and how I can be rid of them then I'd love to know

Thanks Smile
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:14

As you say, probably planaria, they're not harmful to fish, in fact the fish can feed on them, however planaria feed on uneaten food and detritus, so whilst a few aren't an issue, large numbers might indicate that there's a lot of decaying organic material in the tank (sometimes that might be things like the bogwood)
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Mon 29 Sep 2014, 14:40

I've been doing some brief research online and it looks like some kind of detritus worm. The new wood I got has been producing some fluffy mould so maybe that is to blame. The lotus leaves that were on the surface to provide them some shade were also starting to break down so possibly another cause.

I've been feeding them in the same front corner and checking they've eaten all the pellets an hour or so later. Any left over have been removed so I doubt it's from rotting food ... unless they've taken a pellet and dropped it somewhere out of my sight, which I suppose is possible.

After I posted this morning I went and wiped them all from the glass and did another water change, making sure I moved the syphon around the water column to try and suck them all up. I've just checked the glass and I can't see any at the moment but I'll have another look once the lights are on later ... they're easier to see with the lights on
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Fri 10 Oct 2014, 17:31

she's just started laying her third batch of eggs! here we go again!
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sat 11 Oct 2014, 10:18

okay, so 99% of the eggs are infertile this morning - there's maybe 10 eggs that look viable. The female is guarding them obcessively and she's forced the male into the opposite corner of the tank ... he has to stay perfectly still facing the wall or she charges him down.
Last night when I turned out their light she allowed him out of the corner but he went straight to the eggs and started eating them - but then he know's they're not fertile I'm guessing?

So now what do I do? If they were all infertile I'd find a way to remove them myself but by removing the infertile I could damage the few that look viable, and stop Mum guarding them into the deal!
I don't know whether to turn the lights out and leave them off to reduce stress for the male. If I move the male out he's gonna be a problem to re-catch when I want to reintroduce him later.

Am I best to just let nature do it's thing and leave them alone?
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Wed 24 Dec 2014, 16:30

Just an update while I'm here (I've not visited for a couple of months!)

The smokey blushing pair never really settled in the 100 litre tank and it got to the point where the female was laying eggs every 14 days or so and the male just sat and watched her and then went in and ate the lot.

Around a month ago I decided it wasn't going to work keeping them alone and I decided to give up on keeping them alone in the 100 litre and get them back into my main 4ft tank.

The main tank still contained the two 'spare' females - a platinum pearlscale and a marble/ghost hybrid - and I knew re-introducing the smokey blushings wasn't going to be easy. Sadly it went more badly than I considered as the pearlscale female went mental and started violently attacking. With a heavy heart (and in a panic) I rang my lfs and they offered to take her in along with the marbled female. I acted immediately as I knew my heart strings would kick in if I thought about it too much and netted them both and took them straight to the lfs. I was at the lfs last week and both of them had gone so it looks like they wern't 'lodging' there very long.

The smokey blushing pair are now settled in and behaving well with each other again. I've not had a spawn from them though since moving but I suspect they may spawn again soon as they've been doing a lot of lip locking in the last few days.

I've not really considered what I'll do should they spawn successfully in the main tank. I may have to do the same as I did with my laetacara curviceps pair and take a few fry away if they get to free swimming stage and then raise them by hand. I guess time will tell

Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Sat 10 Jan 2015, 02:56

I think this just goes to show that there's a lot to consider. I would never try to raise eggs / fry in a community tank, there are too many things to influence a poor outcome.

Akasha, once the eggs are laid and fertilized the parents job is done. If you want the fish to raise the fry and the parents are at odds with one another, then one option is to remove the fish which is furthest away from the eggs / fry (keeping the one which seems most protective of the eggs / fry).

Sometimes, adding a new fish into an existing community doesn't go well. In the past I have found that disturbing the existing community can help prior to adding the new fish. So a general water change, move a few rocks and plants around, change the direction of the filter outlet / location of air stone etc. can all help in allowing the new fish to enter without being noticed too much. It's just a distraction.

It's worth having a few tanks, so you can switch fish around.

I hope 2015 gives you more luck than last year.

Deans_Angels

http://www.angelfish.org,uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Sat 10 Jan 2015, 03:19

Also, as has been mentioned. Sometimes one parent isn't trusting of the other, so when s/he is trying to look after the eggs, the other one thinks they're eating them. So they misinterpret the others intentions and domestic violence ensues! Any sign of this and I would remove one of them, leaving them to work it out, is unlikely to work. Keep the tank peaceful, dad can always see his fry at the contact center.

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sat 10 Jan 2015, 09:31

I've not had any eggs for a while now. I've but the angels back into the main community tank and so that is probably the reason. They still seem to be a good pair - they're always together and are constantly lip locking and tail slapping. I watch them cleaning leaves daily but no sign of a breeding tube from my female. I'm guessing she's taking a break

Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Sun 11 Jan 2015, 21:45

From what I can remember, feeding plenty of bloodworm and raising the water temperature up and then letting it drop off a couple of degrees will normally see their body colour intensify and then it's 'here we go again' time.

I'm looking for a pair, not seen much around huddersfield, leeds, bradford, wakefield area, where did you get yours?

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Mon 12 Jan 2015, 16:55

hi, Mine came from Pet Safari within Stephen H Smith's garden centre in Otley. I've already spoken to them about the possibility of them taking any fry I might get and they're happy to take a few. These Smokey blushings I got from them seem to have been a one off - I've not seen any more there since but it may just be a case of what ever the supplier delivers and so if your able to get there it's worth having a look.
It's quite a small fish section but I've never had an unhealthy fish from them in 3 and a half years so I'm happy to recommend. I can also recommend Harrogate Aquatic very highly Smile
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Fri 06 Mar 2015, 16:38

My female has dropped her breeding tube and they're both obcessively cleaning leaves. It looks like my next batch of eggs is imminant ... better luck this time! I'm hoping they might actually succeed in hatching some
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sat 07 Mar 2015, 10:05

it's looks like I'm getting angelfish eggs today ... she's definitely ready and they are being extra aggressive, not just with each other but with the rest of my tank too.

I was wondering about getting one of those slide in tank dividers so I could seperate the angels off from the rest of my stock. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Is it a good idea or a bad idea? am I likely to stress them by doing this or will it help them to feel more secure?

Sorry, too many questions!
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 07 Mar 2015, 17:51

Putting a divider in could possibly upset things in the short term, but in the long term will give you better chances. Better still, move the parents to their own tank, since babies are very good at sneaking past dividers.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sat 07 Mar 2015, 21:13

well no eggs so far but her tube is completely out so it can't be too long. Maybe she's waiting until lights out.

I have looked online at dividers and getting one large enough for my tank could be an issue. So far there's a bit of chasing from the angels but they've calmed down from this morning. They were quite aggressive this morning.

If you remember I tried moving them into a tank on their own and the male stopped fertilizing the eggs which is why I moved them back to the community tank, and now moving again isn't an option as I have nowhere to put another tank after re-modelling the living room.

Maybe I need to hang fire and wait and see just how aggressive they become after she's laid the eggs. It would be good to get some fry to pass on to my lfs but if it doesn't happen then that's okay too
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sun 08 Mar 2015, 09:33

I was hoping to wake up to eggs but nothing. Her tube is fully down and she's bickering like crazy with the male but no eggs yet.

Question - and hopefully someone will be on to answer me fairly quickly - I've been treating the tank with melafix as one of my cories had cut herself on something. It's due the 25% water change today. Is is safe to do this with the angels preparing to lay eggs?
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:24

Yes, it might trigger a spawn.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sun 08 Mar 2015, 14:22

I braved it in the end because they've been cleaning leaves near the surface of the tank so I knew it was a now or never situation. If they do lay eggs it could be a week before I can water change again and that meant leaving the tank without a water change for 2 weeks - something I'm not comfy with.

I did slightly smaller than usual. I normally do 7 buckets but I just did 5. My thinking was that if I allowed the water level to drop below the leaves they've been cleaning then I might stress them. By doing 5 buckets it kept the water level just over the chosen leaves.

As it is she's still not layed any eggs. Not sure why she's waiting but I guess she know's what she's doing
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Sun 08 Mar 2015, 16:51

Just be patient - if she's filling with eggs, they've got to come out at some point!

I'm waiting for my pair to spawn again. The male is ready and has had his tube down for 3 days. The females tube is just starting to show, but she is not quite as plump as she was the last time she spawned, so I know what it's like! waiting, waiting, waiting...

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sun 08 Mar 2015, 17:12

she started laying eggs about 5 minutes ago. I've just seen the male pass over the eggs so hopefully I'll have fertile eggs this time. I'll keep you all posted..
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Sun 08 Mar 2015, 18:17

looks like it's failing already. They're not staying with them and my tetra's are nipping in a eating eggs already. I'm gonna have to get a divider for the next spawn I think
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels Sun 08 Mar 2015, 21:29

They need their own space, yes they'll spawn in a community tank, but the chances of parent raising the fry is very slim just because there are too many things to go wrong. There's always a next time Smile

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next