UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 Header4 I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 Helios

I have 'invisible' baby cories!

+2
Pterophyllum
Akasha
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 Empty Re: I have 'invisible' baby cories!

Post  Pterophyllum Thu 15 Oct 2015, 14:24

wonderful!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 Empty Re: I have 'invisible' baby cories!

Post  Akasha Thu 15 Oct 2015, 15:25

I never fail to get excited over baby cories. I am an official mad cory woman lol
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:05

well .... yesterday was a bad day. Yesterday I found four of the six babies dead. I was pretty deverstated. One other was looking weak so I got my other small 18" tank out of the shed. This tank is seperated into two compartments by a glass pane that I took out of an old photo frame. I've always used this little tank for baby cories ... eggs in one side, growing out babies in the other.

So I filled the slightly smaller side (the side I normally use for eggs) as it seemed pointless filling the larger compartment for 2 babies. I added the sponge filter, the moss ball and java moss clump and the babies. This morning I got up to another body ... the weak one hadn't made it.

So now I have a tank with one baby again. I'm feeling seriously dispondent. But this baby deserves the same chance I gave to the little mystery baby that turned out to be a palmeri tetra! So far, it's swimming strongly and that is a good sign. It's also grown so that's another good sign.

I have 'invisible' baby cories! - Page 3 005_zpsoy2wdhby

So for now, I'm hoping the panda's get busy again ... and soon. Raising a single cory isn't ideal.

I've been advised to add some leaf litter to increase infusoria and so I'm heading out to an oak tree that I know of that is well away from the road and polution and see if it will provide me with a few leaves from it's trusty branches.
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:12

hahaha! Guess what I've just spotted in my main tank?! .... another tiny baby palmeri tetra swimming around in the plants. It's tiny, I'd guess it's about 2 or 3 weeks old. I can see it's lateral line ... it's about as big as a new born platy. This is what happens when you allow your tank to turn into a jungle!

So now my baby cory has got company. It may not be company of it's own kind but keeping this little tank running now seems worthwhile. After feeling a wee bit down over losing the majority of the cories this was the pick me up I needed.

Very Happy
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 23 Oct 2015, 17:20

good luck with them both
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Fri 23 Oct 2015, 18:24

thanks Rob Very Happy
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Wed 25 Nov 2015, 09:59

I'm deverstated. I've found the baby cory that I've been nurturing for weeks dead this morning. It had been in with my baby tetra and I'd been adding small amounts of flake twice a day but I can only think it wasn't enough for the cory. I tried a few days ago to get it to eat a cory pellet (the one's my adults eat) but it didn't touch it in over an hour and so I removed it so it didn't foul my water.

A few days ago I woke up to more eggs - just 7 on the glass. They were smaller than normal and so I suspected my very young smudge spot cories as the parents. I collected all 7 eggs but only two hatched. 24 hours later and I found one dead. This morning the other is nowhere to be seen.

I now have a tank running for a lone tetra again.

I'm here because I don't know what to do. I'm clearly doing something wrong but I don't know what. Seen as you guys seem to be able to breed your angels - and their fry are far tinier than cory fry - I thought I might be able to get some advice on keeping these babies alive.
If I can't then the baby tetra can go to the lfs and this little tank is getting broken down and I just ignore any further eggs in my main tank.

My fry tank is set up as follows: It's a clearseal 18" tank so around 30 litres. I've siliconed in a glass partition - one compartment is slightly larger than the other. The larger side I used for growing out and the smaller side for hatching eggs. I have two sponge filters, one on each side and my heater is positioned against the glass panal so both sides get some heat.
The larger side has some aquarium sand in, 2 oak leaves, a moss ball and a clump of java moss too. There's also some anubias plant cuttings stuck in the sand.

The smaller side is bare bottomed with 2 oak leaves ... that's it.

I'd really like to succeed at raising some cory fry and I've managed it in the past with a similar set up. I just can not work out why it's not working out for me now. Can anyone give me some insights please
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 25 Nov 2015, 16:29

Sorry, I've no practical experience when it comes to Cories. But in general, success in breeding requires patience & persistence. I first bred angels in the 1980's and took it up again in 2007. I think I've learnt a fair bit in that time, but I still get batches where none of the babies survive, often alongside another tank where there are hundreds of fry. It can be very disheartening when fish you've been raising and cherishing die for no apparent reason, but that does make the successes all the more sweet.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Wed 25 Nov 2015, 18:06

the plan would be to add some angel fry to this tank too if I can get that far ... my female is still cleaning leaves and battering the male so she has still got spawning on her mind. Before I go there I want to be sure I'm doing things right and going by your reply Rob I am ... it's just bad luck and not something I'm doing Rolling Eyes
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3