UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Angels and Tetra's? Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Angels and Tetra's? EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Angels and Tetra's? EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Angels and Tetra's? EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Angels and Tetra's? EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Angels and Tetra's? EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Angels and Tetra's? EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Angels and Tetra's? EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Angels and Tetra's? EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Angels and Tetra's? EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Angels and Tetra's? Header4 Angels and Tetra's? Helios

Angels and Tetra's?

3 posters

Go down

Angels and Tetra's? Empty Angels and Tetra's?

Post  Akasha Tue 26 Aug 2014, 16:52

Hi,

I currently have purple emperor tetra's and some black neon tetra's in my tank along with the 4 young angelfish. Recently my emperors have started dying off and I now only have 4 left. The neon's may have to be re-homed when the angels reach full size .. that's if I start to see any signs of the angels seeing them as food. Currently it's a waiting game with the neon's and only time will tell.
So I'm thinking now might be a good time to add some more tetra's - or some other shoaling species - I have an open mind, before the angels get any bigger and more capable of eating young fish.

Today I saw some black widow tetra's at my lfs and my guess would be that they would be okay with angels as they are fairly deep bodied but I've just done some brief research online and I've seen they have a reputation of fin nipping ... not a good idea with angels then?

So, basicly I'm here asking what fish can be kept with angels and what can't. I have very soft water with a very low Ph which is why I've tended to keep tetra's and dwarf cichlids ... I'm not one of those fish keepers that plans to force a fish to live in water it's not designed for in the hope it will 'adapt'. I prefer to keep species of fish for the water chemistry that I have naturally instead.
So what can be kept safely with angels and what do I need to steer clear of? The tank is 240 litres (4ft long)
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Angels and Tetra's? Empty Re: Angels and Tetra's?

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 29 Aug 2014, 17:32

Deeper bodied tetras are a good idea with angels, if you like the widows they'd probably be OK, although they can nip, I wouldn't expect them to bother angels. Phantom tetras would be a good alternative such as http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/red-phantom-tetra.html or http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/black-phantom-tetra.html
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Fri 29 Aug 2014, 18:53

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. The lfs had some black phantoms too but I'd read they couldn't be kept with angels (although I couldn't see why not) so I'd ruled them out.

I'll have another look at the phantoms as I don't really want any nippy fish if I can help it Smile
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Mon 22 Sep 2014, 14:59

Hi again. I now have some Nemotobrycon Palmeri tetra's (emperor tetra's) waiting for me at my local fish store and I've arranged to pick them up at the weekend.
I'm now worrying about adding them to my community tank with my two 'spare' juvenile angelfish in the tank. They are still quite small and I doubt that their mouths would be large enough to swallow a tetra but I'm still concerned that this is going to be an expensive mistake.

I just wanted to see what the thoughts were here before I get closer to the weekend. The palmeri tetra's are about the same size as my adult black neons currently and the two angels are around 5cm from nose to base of tail now.

What do we think? Safe to add the tetra's or am I gonna have problems? I am considering re-homing these two angels and this might force me to make a decision
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 17:39

I have Neons in with my Angels, not the smallest ones but I have had no problems.

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Mon 22 Sep 2014, 17:53

hi bridgegirl99

I already have some black neons, they were there before I added the angels and there is quite a lot of research to suggest that they are fine if they grow up together but adding new one's can be a massive problem. This is why I'm worried about adding these new young tetra's at the weekend. The angels are growing fast and I'm concerned they're just going to see food when I try to add new fish
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 22 Sep 2014, 20:14

To be honest, it's a bit like asking will a cat & a dog get on together, they may, they may not.
Certainly if the tetras are introduced when the angels are small, there's a greater likelihood that they'll be left alone. Emperor tetras grow a little larger than neons, in a well planted tank, I would expect that they'll be fine, but I wouldn't guarantee it!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Mon 22 Sep 2014, 20:44

I think what I'll do is feed them something filling like some bloodworms or something and then add the tetra's while they're full and not thinking about food! .... I can't think of anything else. The angels arn't big enough to swallow them whole but they can certainly pick at them till they kill em but then any fish can do that if it feels like it!
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Fri 26 Sep 2014, 18:41

I got my tetra's

Angels and Tetra's? 017_zpsfc8fbed0

Nematobrycon Palmeri or the emperor tetra if you prefer. I got 5 to begin with, it looks like I might have 3 males and 2 females but I'm not certain. There was 9 ordered in specially for me but they arrived sick so the lfs has been getting them well and there's only 5 left.
My platinum pearlscale angel was rather too interested in the bag as it was floating and it was a worry but I decided to feed the angels some pellets at one end of the tank and add the tetra's at the other end close to a largely planted area. Within an hour the tetra's were swimming right up to the angels and the angels wern't even bothered!

The two remaining angels are still reasonably small and so they shouldn't be able to get one of these tetra's in their mouth just yet and I'm hoping the tetra's will fatten up and grow enough over the next few weeks for it not be an issue once the angels get to full grown. That's the plan anyway! Wish me luck lol
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Fri 26 Sep 2014, 18:46

it looks like I might have 3 males and 2 females but I'm not certain.
Look at the eyes, blue eyed boys
Green eyed girls.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Fri 26 Sep 2014, 19:48

really? great thanks. I was looking at the tails as I understood that only the males had the trident tail. I'll check the eyes and see. Thank you Very Happy

Edit:

I've checked their eyes and there's are 2 girls and 3 boys. I'm now wondering if I need to speak to the lfs and see how quickly they can get me some more so I can up the female numbers ... I read something about the males fighting to the death over the females. They'll need to be quick though as the angels are growing close to a size where a young one of these could fit in their mouths
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Mon 18 Jan 2016, 17:15

I'm just ressurecting this to ask if any one keeps cardinal tetra safely with angels?

I've lost all my black neons now which leaves me with 9 harlequins and 9 emperor tetra's in my upper levels. As the tetra's spend most of their time defending territories in the planted area's it leaves the tank looking bare.

I've got a thing for cardinals at the moment and I'm wondering if they might work with my angels. My pair are very well behaved, they've lived with neons and I've still got my oto's and they just ignore them completely. I'm wondering if cardinals might work? It would bring some much needed colour to the tank
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Tue 19 Jan 2016, 01:02

We have Rummynose in with the angels in the display tank in the shop, generally they're OK, but I don't totally trust the larger angels with them. In general I'd recommend deeper bodied tetras, like bleeding hearts, phantoms, Colombian tets. etc.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha Tue 19 Jan 2016, 17:15

I set off replying to this this morning and was sure I'd hit send ... I think I might be a bit away with the fairies at the moment!

Thank you Rob, I had had rummynoses suggested by a friend and I'd not considered them. I'll look into it. I plan to up my numbers of the gold headed purple harlequins that I have to begin with. They're too deep in the body to be angelfish food and the 9 I got are still there after nearly a year.

I'd seen a display tank with a large shoal of cardinals in and the effect was stunning. It was that that set me wondering. I'll look onto things and let you know Smile
Akasha
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down