UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

12 week old tank. 2 new angels. Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
12 week old tank. 2 new angels. Header4 12 week old tank. 2 new angels. Helios

12 week old tank. 2 new angels.

2 posters

Go down

12 week old tank. 2 new angels. Empty 12 week old tank. 2 new angels.

Post  benjy20 Mon 24 Mar 2014, 22:48

Evening, I have just bought 2 angel fish, very small at the moment and added them to my tank. I went through the proper procedure for placing them in the tank but all they have done is hide behind the plants and not swim around at all. One actually looks like it is struggling a little.. Bit worried so would like some help. Thanks. Ben.

benjy20

Back to top Go down

12 week old tank. 2 new angels. Empty Re: 12 week old tank. 2 new angels.

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 24 Mar 2014, 23:52

Hi Ben,
Welcome to the forum.
In order to better help you, providing answers to the following would help :-
1. Tank details, size, type of filter, how & how often do you clean the filter. How, how often and how much water do you change & where do you get the water for the change.
2. Water parameters, ie temperature, ph, nitrite and ammonia levels, other readings like kH and nitrate would be useful too if known.
3. what other inhabitants are in the tank?
4. What do you consider "The proper procedure for placing them in the tank"?
and perhaps most importantly,
5. what do you mean by "struggling"?

Newly introduced fish will often be rather shy and can take days or weeks to settle in properly.
A good general rule, if you're concerned about the health of a fish that you've recently purchased, first off, check water quality, if you don't have your own test kits, take a sample of the tank water back to the store the fish came from. Make sure you, or they write down the actual test results. Have a look at the fish in the tank yours came from, are they showing similar behaviour/symptoms, if they are, then the problem probably came with the fish, if they're not, then the problem is most likely down to your tank, or the shock of having been moved.

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  benjy20 Tue 25 Mar 2014, 08:43

It is a 64 litre tank which came with the filter built onto it. I clean the filter in the tank itself before a water change. I change the water once every two weeks taking out 25% and replacing it with water from the tap. I add tap safe to that water before it goes in. The temperature is 22 degrees which I was told was correct and all,of my ph nitrite ammonia nitrate levels were spot on as I took the water to be tested the day I bought the fish. I have 2 red fin sharks, two golden gourami, two silver dollars, 3 neon, 3 black neon, 3 rummy nose tetra, 3 bottom feeders, two swordtails. The fish were placed in the tank in the bag that I bought them in for 15 minutes, then the bag was cut and some water from the tank was let into the bag for another 15 minutes then they were slowly placed into the tank with the lights off for an hour before I turned them back on. By struggling I mean it looked like it found it hard to swim.
Thanks

benjy20

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Tue 25 Mar 2014, 09:56

Hi Ben,
Firstly 22 degrees is too cold for most tropical fish, with the exception of the swordtails which are probably OK at that sort of temperature, all the fish you have would be much happier at higher temperatures. With the mix of fish you have I'd aim for a temperature in the region of 26 c.
Secondly, just because the water was OK before the fish were added, doesn't mean that it's OK now, if you're having problems with fish, checking the water parameters is always the best first step.
You say in the title that the tank is 12 weeks old, were all the fish added at the same time, or did you build up over that period? and when in that 12 week period were they added.
Thirdly, the mix of fish you have is totally inappropriate for that size tank. The red fin sharks can be rather territorial, and personally I wouldn't put them in a community tank of less than 200 litres. I also wouldn't keep them in 2's as one is likely to bully & dominate the other. They can easily reach 6" long, the largest I've ever seen were nearly a foot long.
Golden gouaramis also grow to about 5 or 6 inches, can be moderately territorial and are liable to feed on the neons & black neons when larger.
Silver dollars, although primarily vegetarians, might also be tempted by the tetras when larger, they can easily get to 6 or 8 inches long, they're also very active swimmers & need lots of space. If I was a small angel, I'd probably hide away with that mix of fish in my tank! The danger being that they will be so intimidated by the other fish that they will simply not feed and eventually starve.
Finally the tank is also, IMO, too small for angels as a permanent home. I use tanks that size to house pairs when they are breeding but move them to much larger tanks when they're not. If all you kept in there was a pair of angels, it would probably suffice, but it is rather restricted and adult fish would certainly appreciate more swimming space.

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down