UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Microworm vs BBS Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Microworm vs BBS EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Microworm vs BBS EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Microworm vs BBS EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Microworm vs BBS EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Microworm vs BBS EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Microworm vs BBS EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Microworm vs BBS EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Microworm vs BBS EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Microworm vs BBS EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Microworm vs BBS Header4 Microworm vs BBS Helios

Microworm vs BBS

2 posters

Go down

Microworm vs BBS Empty Microworm vs BBS

Post  gibbo156 Fri 17 May 2013, 06:06

I have a new batch of fry, free swimming on 13th May and i have decided to feed them microworm instead of BBS.

comments please.

gibbo156

Back to top Go down

Microworm vs BBS Empty Re: Microworm vs BBS

Post  spyderuk Sun 19 May 2013, 15:05

How's it going?

My research seems that most tend to lean toward bbs. I think a varied diet can only be good so alternating between bbs and micro worms should be a good move.

I have micro, walter and banana worm cultures on the go and my thinking is, I can quickly feed in the morning then go to work without worrying about uneaten bbs dyeing off and fouling the water. I also have white worms on the go for conditioning parents to be but they are so slow in taking off. Also setup a grindal worm culture yesterday.

Tubs everywhere. affraid

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Post  gibbo156 Sun 19 May 2013, 17:35

It's going really well.

The microworms are much less bother.
The culture took a week to get going but is producing a steady stream now, i am feeding the microworm to the batch of fry and into the grow on tank ( but they get other stuff as well )
I intend to intersperse the microworm for the fry with decaps. I use EZ Eggs for brine shrimp, they are the decapsulated but still hatchable eggs. Expensive, but i am rarely feeding more than one or two batches at a time, and they can be given unhatched as well. I have some ordinary decaps in the cupboard for use in emergencies.

I find it mush easier to feed smaller amounts of microworm and you don't waste any.
So i can feed smaller amounts about 6 times a day instead of the bbs at three times a day ( lucky me, i work from home, so every coffee or smoke break is baby feeding time )
AND you don't need to remember to start a new batch of brine shrimp eggs, the microworm culture is just there all of the time.
I also have a white worm culture for the adults. The whiteworm culture started on the same day as the microworm but took a week longer to get going. This morning it just seemed to explode with worms.
They don't last long in the display tank, but the adult angels with fry just ignored them. I have found that angels with fry seem to eat a lot less so maybe they just didn't fancy any.
I use bare botomed tanks for breeding angels so it is easy to see any food that needs hoovering out.

The batch of fry are growing nicely on (mainly) microworm, but diferent colours seem to grow at different rates anyway so it is probably too soon to judge.

gibbo156

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Sun 19 May 2013, 19:56

My whiteworms have been going for about 3-4 weeks and tend to stay buried most of the time. I loosened up the soil the other week and I have more worms than I started with but I'm still waiting for the population explosion.

Even if your feeding solely on BBS I think it's worth having microworms as a backup just in case a batch of bbs fails, crashes etc.

I buy my BS eggs from an ebay seller usually around £11 for 100gm delivered. Always had good hatch rates from them.

I fed a few whitewroms to a pair the other day and was surprised to see how hesitant they were to take them.

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Microworm vs BBS Empty ooops , i think i killed my whiteworms

Post  gibbo156 Wed 22 May 2013, 22:14

I think i killed my whiteworms.

The weather was warm on Sunday and i got enough out of the whiteworm box to feed four tanks, including my big display tank.
Then the weather turned cold again. I dug about in the whiteworm box today and couldn't find a single worm.

Looks like the worms that came to the surface on Sunday was all of them.

I have ordered another culture to try again.

Meanwhile the microworm culture is feeding two batches of fry.

gibbo156

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Thu 23 May 2013, 13:59

Oh dear. Yes sounds like they got a bit warm and was trying to escape. If there were any eggs around they should hatch in around 12 days so all may not be lost although it would take a good while to recover.

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum