UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Broken lost ventral fins Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Broken lost ventral fins EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Broken lost ventral fins EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Broken lost ventral fins EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Broken lost ventral fins EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Broken lost ventral fins EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Broken lost ventral fins EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Broken lost ventral fins EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Broken lost ventral fins EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Broken lost ventral fins EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Broken lost ventral fins Header4 Broken lost ventral fins Helios

Broken lost ventral fins

4 posters

Go down

Broken lost ventral fins Empty Broken lost ventral fins

Post  french47 Sat 27 Apr 2013, 08:32

I have a couple of young Angel that have managed to damage their ventral fins and one fish has lost one completely.
Is that it, will the damaged fins ever repair themselves and has the lost fin gone forever?
Cheers

french47
french47

Back to top Go down

Broken lost ventral fins Empty Re: Broken lost ventral fins

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 27 Apr 2013, 20:20

A fin that is broken will usually regrow, but can sometimes regrow slightly crooked, but if it's gone completely, it's unlikely to regrow.
Are these by any chance pearlscales?
Missing/deformed ventral fins is a recognised deformity that's quite common in pearlscales.

Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Broken lost ventral fins Empty Broken fins

Post  french47 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 09:17

Broken lost ventral fins Angels_zps6f009ecf

Thanks for your reply, these are the fish, not too sure as to what they are. Still very small Body is about 1½ to 2 inch.
One fish there is a break half way down and on one of the others, it's missing from about a ¼ inch out of the body.
A very poor picture as the fish are still very nervous only had them a couple of days.
Cheers
french47
french47

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Wed 01 May 2013, 11:45

Hi Rob,
I have just seen this thread & noticed that you have said.

[quote="Pterophyllum"]Are these by any chance pearlscales?
Missing/deformed ventral fins is a recognised deformity that's quite common in pearlscales.

And was wondering if this would mean that young from both pearlscale parents, or young from 1 parent that is pearlscale, or from young that have 1 pearlscale parent & 1 that possably carries the pearlscale gene?
The reason i ask is that some of my young from my Pearlscale Blue Smokey x Blue Smokey Marble (& if im correct the smokey marbles father was a chocolate pearlscale) have 1 or both ventrals missing it is only a small percentage of the young but would you feel that this is the reason for this?
Ifso would this mean that the ones with the missing ventrils are the ones carrying the gene & the others dont & does it mean that i will get Pearlscale young in the batch?
I have had this before & it was from parents that were both pearlscale but was unsure of the reason.

Paul..

Last edited by uk bulldog on Wed 01 May 2013, 19:11; edited 1 time in total
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 01 May 2013, 16:35

French,
sorry for the delay in replying, the fish in the photo look to be normal silvers, and not pearlscale, I can't see any sign of broken fins in the photo.
The one with the break 1/2 way down will almost certainly heal well, the one with the break closer to the body, might heal, but could end up short or crooked.

Paul,
I don't think anyone knows the reason, it could be down to a linked gene, if so, then it should be possible to breed it out by selecting only those pearlscales with excellent finnage to breed from. I'm aware of at least one breeder in the US who claims that he doesn't see an excess level of missing ventrals in his line.
Missing ventrals can occur in non pearlscales, presumably the result of physical injury when small, or perhaps triggered by a spike in ammonia etc. at a critical stage of development.
However personally, I'm not convinced that missing ventrals & bent fins which seem to be more common in pearlscales is necessarily down to a linked gene. Clearly the pearlscale gene has an effect on the way that scales form causing them to be distorted, I suspect that the gene can also be active in the cells that form the fins and that on occasions this disrupts the proper growth of the fins.
I'd be pretty confident that if you grew those without the ventrals all, or at least the great majority would prove to be pearlscales.
You'll also probably find that the pearlscale youngsters are markedly slower growing compared to their het. pearl siblings.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Wed 01 May 2013, 19:09

Thank you yet again Rob for the reply,i had chosen to cull the ones with the missing ventrils but a family member would like to have them, so I will be able to see how they turnout ie if pearscale or not.This will also confirm wether the female carries the pearlscale gene
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Wed 01 May 2013, 19:44

Hi Paul if it's one of the blue marbles you had from me, it definitely carries a pearlscale gene, this was the father....
Broken lost ventral fins IMG_1560

To be honest, I'm really not keen on pearlscale, partly because of the slow growth rate, partly because of the missing fins, partly because I don't actually like the appearance of the scales themselves and partly because it also seems to be associated with poor body shape. The only reason I haven't eliminated it from my lines is that it also seems to be associated with wifi fins, and those I do like! Although it clearly isn't the only factor that influences wifi!
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  uk bulldog Thu 02 May 2013, 21:03

Thanks for yet another honest reply Rob,& yes it is one of the young from you of which that great looking chocolate pearlscale male is the farther,so that has answerd yet another question. Very Happy

Paul..
uk bulldog
uk bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Sat 15 Nov 2014, 16:59

I have some great grand fish or maybe even great great grand fish that have come via Paul and now spawned for me, as with Pauls fish mine have the odd ventral fin problems, do you think the one in the centre of this picture is unlikely to grow properly?? I find it very hard to spot when they're little, especially the marbles who sometimes have one light ventral and one dark one.

Broken lost ventral fins Img_2014

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum Sat 15 Nov 2014, 19:22

Looks like you've got some nice youngsters there, but yes, sadly, the ventrals on that one in the centre are always going to be badly misshapen, even if they do re-grow.

That however, IMO, is more likely due to damage or injury when much smaller, rather than the typical missing ventrals seen in some pearlscales. I say this because, although misshapen, part of the fin is present, typically where pearlscales are missing venrtals, they're completely absent.
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  bridgegirl99 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 15:30

Ahh ok thanks Rob, I do have 3 from this batch with no ventral fins at all poor things No

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum