UK Angelfish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Long and slow fish house build. Empty
Latest topics
» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Long and slow fish house build. EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 13:49 by TrevorGreenfield

» Is there anybody out there?
Long and slow fish house build. EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:51 by Mims_0

» Which option would you choose?
Long and slow fish house build. EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018, 18:49 by Mims_0

» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Long and slow fish house build. EmptyWed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Long and slow fish house build. EmptySun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Long and slow fish house build. EmptyThu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Long and slow fish house build. EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Long and slow fish house build. EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Long and slow fish house build. EmptyWed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters
Long and slow fish house build. Header4 Long and slow fish house build. Helios

Long and slow fish house build.

3 posters

Go down

Long and slow fish house build. Empty Long and slow fish house build.

Post  spyderuk Mon 25 Mar 2013, 14:28

Permission is granted. bounce

Warning! This will be a slow thread. This project will take time due to financial constraints and time factors.

Moving on. I have permission from the "Boss" to go ahead with a fish house. We have a detached, brick build garage around 18' and around 9' wide. After a lot of thought about internal dimensions and space I think I'm going for 8'x7' internal space in the far left hand corner. We are currently in the clearing up phase and finally sorting the unsorted boxes of "stuff" that you collect over the years and gets moved about. It's not the fun part but got to be done. We need that space!

Long and slow fish house build. Img_9511

I'm often making little sketches and trying to figure out what size and how many tanks I can squeeze around the space. The tanks won't all be installed at once and I've pretty much decided the first rack will be 4 x 36x15x12's and 3 x 24x15x12's, I would like to go 18x15 on the 3 foots if they don't cost a bomb. At this point I'm considering the movement of fry to other tanks along with BBS hatching area and generally figuring out where everything needs to be. Apart from Angels, I want to try my hand at a few other species, Cories, (Gold WCCM's for the boss), and CPD's are on the list atm.

Insulation will be 50mm Kingspan/Celotex the ceiling will have the fluffy stuff as the beams are quite deep. Will go to space heating once other tanks are added.

I have a week booked off work mid May and hope to start framing and putting cables in during that time.

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Long and slow fish house build. Empty Re: Long and slow fish house build.

Post  Pterophyllum Mon 25 Mar 2013, 15:36

Good news, I look forward to progress reports
Pterophyllum
Pterophyllum

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Fri 10 May 2013, 19:19

Small update.

I've gone and dropped £93.24 on timber to get this project off the ground. This weekend should be a lot of clearing and removing "stuff" attached to ceiling joists and walls. Timber is being delivered on Monday 13th so Monday, Tuesday should see the studwork getting started. Hope to have it framed up and twin n earth in place by the end of next week.

I'm going to keep a running total of material costs for my own benefit and also to help guide others that may be contemplating their own build.

I will be taking lots of photos too so expect lots of bad shots of my shoddy joinery skills. What a Face

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Long and slow fish house build. Empty Fish house tales

Post  Phil Unsworth Fri 10 May 2013, 20:13

''Is this your 1st fish house,'' I've build one, and found next time i do this, i will do thing's differently. It's the experience that i had to go though which give me the knowledge to know what's best for me and my fish for the next time. it could be a refit or a new build fish house, anyway yours is going to be great good look Very Happy
Phil Unsworth
Phil Unsworth

Back to top Go down

Post  spyderuk Fri 10 May 2013, 21:25

Phil Unsworth wrote:''Is this your 1st fish house,'' I've build one, and found next time i do this, i will do thing's differently. It's the experience that i had to go though which give me the knowledge to know what's best for me and my fish for the next time. it could be a refit or a new build fish house, anyway yours is going to be great good look Very Happy

Hi Phil, yes it is my first ever fish house build. affraid

I've done a lot of research since we moved into the property back in September 2011. I've been thinking about the air ring and decided against it and opted for piston pumps for each rack. If a pump fails I only lose air to one rack not the entire fish house and a spare could easily be stocked. As I'm also adding tanks over time it seems more convenient and cost effective on fittings/valves etc.

Initial tanks will have standard in tank heaters although I would like to move over to space heating once all tanks are installed. I think I would still have heaters in spawning tanks to save having to space heat to higher temperatures.

One thing I initially overlooked was a water preparation and storage solution. I've now considered this and allocated space for it.

As I'm using Rob's 2X2 timber style racking I've had to carefully plan what tanks will be going where so I will have timbers securely fixed to the walls where I will need to put the uprights. The uprights won't be very secure screwed into 4mm ply. Crying or Very sad

I don't have my scruffy plans to hand but I believe I can cram in the following.

4x 18x12x12's (spawning tanks for other smaller species)
6x 24x15x12's (Angel and Cory spawning.)
6x 30x15x12's (Sorted and ready to sell tanks / Quarantine)
4x 36x15x12's ( Growout tanks - Would like to go 18x15 on these)
3x 48x15x12's ( Growouts and communities. Again like to go 18x15 on these or even 18x18.)

I will also pop a few 12inch cubes I have either for shrimp or emergency hatching of pulled spawns.

I think the planning what you can cram in is the exciting part, filling tanks with water is the "nail biting" part. Wink

spyderuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down